How can non-users report bugs to JIRA?

Controls Group May 9, 2013

Is there a way that non-users can submit a ticket or report a bug to JIRA? Does this require an add-on?

Thanks.

6 answers

0 votes
Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

Consider the new JIRA Service Desk 2.x option that allows for unlimited customers (ergo they don't count against your license). 

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/09/introducing-jira-service-desk-2-0/

Benefits include the ability to configure a customer portal for entering "requests" in customer friendly terms, as well as their ability to see their reported issues and communicate with the support staff via comments - all on the portal!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/Managing+customers

They can also receive relevant email notifications, and you can even allow ticket creation via an email channel. I recommend checking out all the options as it should meet your requirements nicely.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2013

If you want back end integration, you just send emails to JIRA. By default you can hoover up any content sent by setting a default reporter, this is one way traffic to JIRA. If you want bi-directional involvement, you cal use JEMH to facilitate email only communication with remote users.

- https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Enable+non+JIRA+Account+holders+to+receive+issue+updates

jaya neti August 10, 2014

Andy

I have JEMH. I want to create a contact us form so external users can create issue. Instead of me creating a form, I wanted to use JIRA Issue Collector but how to integrate it with JEMH to receive an acknowledgement for the email that created an issue?

Thanks for your help.

Jaya

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2014

Somehow, you need to get information to a JIRA issue and have email addresses stored in custom fields so JEMH can drive notifications. AFAIK IssueCollector wont do that.

Writing an IssueCollector+ for JEMH has been considered but not implemented yet.

For now, you will need to create a webform that generates an email using JEMH Directives in the body (@remoteUserEmail=someemail@place.cometc) to send to JEMH to create the issue correctly, and drive notifications.

0 votes

I took a look at Issue Collector. Is it just for web applications or can technically be used for anything? Thank you.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2013

It's a Javascript snippet that can be used everywhere.

0 votes

I took a look at Issue Collector. Is it just for web applications or can technically be used for anything?

Also, is there a more customizable form? Ideally, I'd like to be able to create a form and choose various fields to display in that form. For example, "software version".

Thank you.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

You could use this add on called Issue Collector. It provides you an template which you can place on your portal.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.collector.plugin.jira-issue-collector-plugin

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

You can set up your permision scheme to allow "Anyone" to create issues (the reporter field will also have to be set not to be required). You'll end up with issues with empty reporters thoguh.

You might want to look at the Issue Collector though - it probably does what you want.

Suggest an answer