How can jira export commentary history to word?

Shirley Breuer November 11, 2020

Hi Community,

I have a question regarding Jira. 
I want to export certain information from a project to Word.  The export should contain the following:
            Key
            Summary
            Issue left
            Pre-Condition
            Test Action 
            Passport Criteria 
            Epic link         
            Description               
and very important: the commentary history ! Can you help me and tell me how it works?
Thanks a lot !

1 answer

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 16, 2020

Hi @Shirley Breuer 

Are you insisting on the Word output or would other formats like PDF also suffice?

Shirley Breuer November 16, 2020

Hi @Levente Szabo _Midori_ 

Other formats, such as Excel, would also suffice but PDF should not be used.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 16, 2020

Then one possible way to do it is with the Better Excel Exporter app. It comes with a built-in template that will export the change history or comments of your Jira tickets. See an example here and more among the Export Samples Gallery:

jira-issues-selected-fields-with-comments.png

I suspect by some of your mentioned custom field names that those are either not built-in or coming from third-party apps (like Pre-condition and Test action are from a test management app?) so compatibility of your required fields should be tested.

I recommend giving the app a try and reach out with questions to the support team, for hands-on advice.

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Bernhard Doleschel _Ease Solutions_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2020

Disclaimer: I´m employed at Ease Solutions, the provider of the app R4J - Requirements Management for Jira

Hello @Levente Szabo _Midori_ ,

You could use the word template export feature of our app R4J - Requirements Management for Jira. It offers you the freedom to configure all details in your export in any format MS Word offers, please see our documentation for tutorials, templates and export language support. Each comment can be handled via a loop over your issues, like in our example:CommentSyntax.png

Result in (e.g.):

CommentResult.png

A prerequisite is to

• specify a JQL (Jira Query Language) in the template to identify the issues for the export
  • or add the issues for the export to the R4J tree.

If you need help to create your templates we can also support you with consulting service.

Best Regards, Bernhard

Shirley Breuer November 17, 2020

@Levente Szabo _Midori_  thank you for your answer! 

But I have one more question.
Are there only templates and can you only use these specific templates?
Or is it possible to have all this in one export?
Key
Summary
Issue left
Pre-Condition
Test Action
Passport Criteria
Epic link
Description
Comment history

Best regards

Bernhard Doleschel _Ease Solutions_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2020

Hello @Shirley Breuer ,

as long the fields are standard Jira fields (e.g. key, summary, epic link, description, comment) this is no problem with the export feature of R4J. For the other custom fields (like Issue left, Pre-condition, Test Action, Passport Criteria) it depend on the source. If they are Jira standard custom fields it should not be a problem. If they are managed by any other Jira App you would need to test.

Bernhard

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
November 17, 2020

Hi @Shirley Breuer 

The templates are there to make your life easier, but they are freely customizable and are very flexible to contain whatever Jira issue data you need. And sure, you can have all those fields in one export, given the fields are supported. 

Chances are high that they will be supported, as Better Excel Exporter is compatible with the most popular test management and other apps for Jira, see the list of integrations here.

Give Better Excel Exporter a try and if you are unsure about something, reach out to our support colleagues who can help you quickly to generate the export you need.

Suggest an answer