How can i strip original issue summary from jira outgoing emails?

Riaz Mohamed September 11, 2014

I need to remove the original issue summary from all outgoing emails that using JIRA email handler. Is there any way to do it? I used vm files to edit the content but still the original email summary is getting appended to all outgoing emails. Please help on this.

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2014

JIRA built-in functionality for working with emails is quite limited. The email handlers allow you to do some striping of content, but not much.

If you're able to spend some money to solve this, I would recommend taking a look at JIRA Enterprise Mail Handler. It's regular expression capabilities are a bit more powerful. The caveat is you have to use regular expressions to solve this problem, which can sometimes leave you with unwanted results. 

Riaz Mohamed September 14, 2014

Stephen, Thanks for your comment. From my “Add-Ons” Admin view, I located "Jira Enterprise Mail Handler" which says as "Paid via Vendor" Does this mean our existing license already covered this? Any idea? If this handler provides guarantee that we can strip original summary for sure (from outgoing emails), then it is really worth trying this for, Any comments or advice?

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2014

Riaz - As far as I'm aware, you'll need to purchase an additional license to use JEMH along side of JIRA. Paid via Vendor usually means you download the Add-on via the Marketplace, but you obtain the license separately through the Vendor. I suggest contacting The Plug-in People directly for more information. I attended the Atlassian Summit this past week and met-up with this Vendor. He demonstrated the plug-in for me and looked like it would solve this problem. However, he did mention that since the method for stripping data from emails uses regular expressions, there is no 100% guarantee it will capture exactly what you want from every email every time. If your organization uses a common email software that adheres to a standard, this plug-in should work just fine since you can craft a regular expression to match what you want. If you receive email into JIRA from external sources, than it could be hit-or-miss. I'm looking to use this as well but need to perform a JIRA update first. I recommend obtaining an evaluation license for your test environment - you should be able to renew it a few times for free. Hope this helps.

Riaz Mohamed October 2, 2014

Sorry for my late reply. Really appreciate your response. I will try explore JEMH (in case if they have evaluation license). Meanwhile if you come to know any other solution please share with me. That will really help me. Thanks once again.

Suggest an answer