How can i set a custom field default to EMPTY?

Daniel Kingdon April 20, 2016

We have a custom team field and have it set to required. The option "None" is appearing as the default and is counting as populating. Ticket creators are not forced to identify which team the ticket belongs to. 

Anyone know how to work around this? I know how to change the default value, but that will not solve the challenge of people not assigning a team to new tickets. Looking for a way to have the value as Empty (or not populated) to force ticket creators to pay attention to that field  

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2016

Put a Validator that requires this value to be changed

Daniel Kingdon April 20, 2016

Thanks. Any easy way to add validators without having to write a script? 

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2016

It is not a script. A simple "Validator" called "Field has been modified Validator" provided by the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions add-on.

Daniel Kingdon April 21, 2016

Adding a validator to the field in via the workflow solved my issue. Thanks. 

Nithya Ananda January 24, 2017

Thanks!

It worked for me too!

Melody KirkWagner May 10, 2019

So those of us in Enterprise version with no option to add unapproved extensions have to option to do this?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2016

It sounds like you have an option of "none" on the list of options - that's why the "mandatory" flag is picking it up as  being filled.  If you reconfigure the custom field, you should be able to remove the default, and then disable the "none" option.  JIRA will then present the user with "none", still, but it will mean "nothing selected".  Then the mandatory flag will kick in if the user doesn't select something else.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2016

@Daniel Kingdon, this is the right way to do it if you don't need the "None" option.

Prateek Yadav September 5, 2018

Hi,

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I'm new to JIRA and using JIRA cloud for my project. I don't see any option which can remove 'None' from the list(cascading select). Has this been removed again? If yes, what's the way now? Any document link on it would help.

Thanks

Like Ionut Tautan likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2018

No, there's been no change here, the answer stands

Prateek Yadav September 7, 2018

OK. Thanks!! I tried doing it but couldn't see the option of removing 'None' while editing Default value option.

Steps I followed.

1. Click on Jira Settings.
  2. Click on Issues.
  3. Click Custom Fields under FIELDS.
  4. Find the custom field and Click on 3 dots.
  5. Click on Configure.
  6. Click Edit Default Value under Default Value

It just shows me options as attached in screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 11.58.53 AM.png

Suggest an answer