How can i migrate the data related to attachments, links and comments

Harsha Hegde December 30, 2013

Currently Iam migrating the data from one Jira instance to another (say A to B). Both of which are jira version 5.1.2. How can i extract the complete data (including comments, links and attachments) of one Jira instance (Instance A) and import into another Jira instance (Instance B). I have some projects already present in Jira Instance B.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user December 30, 2013

perform a backup (result is XML file) on server a

copy the backup file and the attachments folder to server b (into the folder with name restore)

import projects on server b

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2013
Harsha Hegde January 5, 2014

Thanks Peter and Yew for the reply. Iam trying to import the XML file created and since the issue type and custom fields are not present in the target instance Iam getting the error. Is there any way I can map it to a different issue type and fields in the target instance OR is there any way it gets created automatically while importing if the issue types and fields are not there in the target ?

Deleted user January 5, 2014

Hello Harsha,

as I know, you have to create the issue types, the custom fields and everything else manually before you can import the data.

We made a tool for these tasks, but this tool is for professional support only and not public.

There is another tool available on the marketplace: The project configurator.

Harsha Hegde January 5, 2014

Thanks Peter. What is the tool name that you have for professional support. I can request my client to check, if they have support and get the tool.

Harsha Hegde January 6, 2014

Iam currently trying to create the workflows and configure the custom fields manually. I am getting below error for status:

"Status

The status 'Information Requested' is in use by an issue of type 'L3 Support Issue' in the backup file. The default workflow 'jira', which is associated with issue type 'L3 Support Issue', does not use this status. This workflow is not editable. You must create a project with key 'JPL3', instead of letting the import create it for you, and associate a workflow with issue type 'L3 Support Issue' that uses the status. To do this you will need to use a workflow scheme.
See the documentation for more information
The status 'Completed' is in use by an issue of type 'L3 Support Issue' in the backup file. The default workflow 'jira', which is associated with issue type 'L3 Support Issue', does not use this status. This workflow is not editable. You must create a project with key 'JPL3', instead of letting the import create it for you, and associate a workflow with issue type 'L3 Support Issue' that uses the status. To do this you will need to use a workflow scheme.
See the documentation for more information "
I followed below steps:
1. Added the status "Information Requested" and "Completed" in target.
2. Created a workflow similar to source instance.
3. Created a workflow scheme and associated the workflow and issue type to it.
4. Created a project and associated the workflow scheme created.
Still iam encountered with the same error. How can i resolve it. Iam not able to create a project with key "JPL3" since the JIRA is not allowing me to do when i mention the key during project creation.

Suggest an answer