How can i improve Card Visbility for Kanban board ?

Faisal Mateen October 31, 2012

I have created multiple columns (9-10) for my Kanban board workflow. When putting cards in them the card visibility is quite poor.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Heilman November 13, 2012

Being able to select the # of rows of text on the 'card' would help.

Being able to select the font size for cards is a 'must have'. Adjusting the resolution of the browser is a non starter as frequently the team switches back and forth between windows in the browser. The classic boards got all this right.

I use projector mode ALL the time! Just hit z!

How about hovering over the text to display a help-text balloon showing the full content of the story description!!!

1 vote
Felipe Hernan Di Gregorio December 7, 2015

Sadly I wasn't able to find a solution to this problem. It's sad that such a complete tool as JIRA can't have the visual simplicity of tools like trello. I hope this gets updated soon as it's a visual impairment to managing the backlog

0 votes
Faisal Mateen November 6, 2012

The 9 column names (for now) are :

1. Spec/Analyze
  2. Development Q
  3. In Development
  4. Validation Q
  5. .....

Its an attempt to capture hardware/IC design flow with Kanban and visualize where the bottlenecks and/or queues are.

Have not tried on the big monitor yet...

Some requests/suggestions to increase card readibility

• Can we adjust the font sizes and/or have flexibilty to remove pictures from Kanban cards etc or adjust card dimensions etc
  • Can a feature be implemented that if a column is highlighted its readibity improves....?

There will be more possibilites iam sure from your side...

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

Hi Faisal,

You might like to try hitting 'z' to go to projector mode then putting your browser in to full screen mode. You can also zoom out using the features of your browser.

Cheers,
Shaun

0 votes
Damon Gaylor October 31, 2012

9-10 columns seems like a lot. Can you add the column names and order (just curious). I doubt there is anything you can do given the many columns unless you have a huge monitor.

We typically use 4-5 columns:

• ToDo
  • In Progress
  • Ready for Build
  • Ready for QA
  • Done

You may want to think about adding more subtasks and less columns. Example: Instead of taking a story from Design,Design Review, Programming, etc., add separate tasks instead. Create one for Design, then a couple for programming, Writing QA scripts, QA.

If you do this, then the subtask for

• Designing the feature/story, would go from ToDo-->In Progress--> Done. Only three columns.
  • Programming: ToDo -->In Progress-->Ready for Build--> Done
  • QA: ToDo --> In Progress --> Done
  • Bug: ToDo--> In Progress --> Ready for Build --> Ready for QA --> Done

Hope that helps.

Damon

Suggest an answer