How can i get a tab in the open ticket summary screen?

himanshu thakur May 8, 2013

Hello,

I am having a ready hard time figuring this out.

So heres what i want to be able to do:

When the ticket is assiged to a developer, i want him/her to be able to change the status to one of the following:

issue reported
correction checked in
ready for testing
fix verified
issue persists
on hold
question
not reproducible
duplicate
not a bug

IDEALLY I would like to have a tab called 'Change Status' which when clicked open a drop down list with those values. When the status has changed, i would like that appear in the activity stream and would like it to send out emails to everyone who is a watcher for that ticket?

I would really really really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2013

There are four ways in which Jira uses a "screen". View issue. Edit issue. Create issue. Then you can use screens in transitions in the workflow.

The workflow transitions are completely separate from the "ticket summary" (by which I assume you mean "View issue"). Forget the workflow. Go to the "issue type screen scheme" for the project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2013

Most of this is built into Jira, but you need to approach it from a different angle. You have a list of status here, which is the core of a Jira "workflow". To move between status, you create transitions between these status. You don't just set a status, it's not a field, it's an indication of where the issue is in a workflow.

So, to answer your question, you can't really do this because Jira is more workflow driven than arbitrary-data driven. You need to define transitions between all your status and then get your users to use the workflow. You can include the assignee field on transition screens if you want.

You could, of course, have a custom field, on it's own tab, with a simple list of your status, but it would have nothing to do with the Jira workflow and the Jira status would still reflect the workflow status of the issue.

I'd also take a look at your list of status - a good chunk of it feels like a process flow, but "question" is more of a type of issue, and the last three look more like outcomes than status.

thanks Nic.

To incorporate all those statuses into JIRA sounds messy. i think ill go with having a custom field on its own tab. Now the question is how to get the tab. I can create a custom field with those values but how would i get that tab to appear on the ticket summary screen?

Thank you .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2013

Ok. You need to work through "screens" to do this. Find the view, edit and create screens for your issue (I usually find it easiest to go to the project view, then look at the settings - that will tell you what "issue type screen scheme" is in use, and allow you to click through to it. Then you can descend through that until you find the screens in use). Once you have those, you can add new tabs to them, and fields to those new tabs. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen for more

One other trick here too, for advanced use - you might want to think about writing a "listener" - this can catch "user has edited issue" events, scan them for "custom field has changed" and then be told to push the issue through a workflow transition if appropriate. Just a thought for the future.

Hello Nic,

Thanks for the feedback again. I am having trouble going through the workflow. For example: which screen is assocaited with the ticket summary screen? i see three screen: create issue screen, resolve issue screen, and workflow screen?

can i contact you personally regarding this. it would help me out a lot .

Suggest an answer