How can i delete labels from Jira permanently

prudviraj dodda January 5, 2018

I have duplicate labels as shown below

eg: "Build"  , "build"

I need to delete one label

2 answers

7 votes
Anatoly Spektor May 14, 2020

You can do it using Bulk Edit. I have created a short  youtube video that goes through this process, hope it helps:

https://youtu.be/-9H_cEao6gU

David Valle July 26, 2020

it's very useful

thanks!

Em August 14, 2020

Brilliant, really helpful.  Thanks a lot Anatoly :)

Indira October 1, 2022

@Anatoly Spektor thanks for the instructions, but I'm trying to remove a specificlabel completely in Jira, so that it isn't shown in the label list at all. I removed that label from each issue, but it still keeps on occuring in the Labels dropdown list ... Is this possible to remove completely from jira? 

Joao Arruda October 3, 2022

@Indira I've been through the same issue in the past and it seems that after you bulk edit and remove the label from all Jira's issues, it takes a while for Jira to stop suggesting it in the Labels dropdown list. Wait a few days and then check it again :)

Like # people like this
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

Hi @Indira Hi @Joao Arruda 

More often than not, the label that won't disappear from your suggestions is cached in your browser. Clearing the browser cache should make it go aways immediately. 

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Like # people like this
Indira October 12, 2022

Hi, thank you @Joao Arruda @Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_  for your responses. Yes the label I removed from all issues is still present in the label list, so I'm afraid I will just have to wait for some period for it to be removed automatically.

BR!

Like Joao Arruda likes this
2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018
Tomas Botek June 15, 2018

I followed the instructions from linked page and have removed all the labels I want to get rid of, but they still appear as an option when I am creating a new task. Should I just wait for reindexing or is there something more I should do? 

Like # people like this
Abhinav Jain July 27, 2021

The label might be tagged in some other JIRA tasks which are part of a different project. It has to be updated in all the JIRA tasks across all the projects for the label to disappear in the field. 

I am facing a similar issue. Hopefully, someone has a simpler approach..

Joao Arruda August 25, 2021

Same as with @Tomas Botek  here. I have removed a label from all issues accross all the workspace and Jira still suggests it to me. 

Like Patrick Winter likes this
Joao Arruda September 21, 2021

Update: just checked and the labels previously removed are not suggested anymore. I believe it takes a while for Jira to fetch the correct list once again.

So the procedures described in the comment from Alexey indeed worked.

Suggest an answer