How can i change the status of a service desk issue only when all of its linked issues got resolved

Berna Yavuz January 14, 2021

How can i change the status of a service desk issue only when all of its linked issues got resolved ? I'm able to do that once any linked issue gets resolved but id like to trigger it once they all are resolved instead

3 answers

0 votes
Berna Yavuz January 19, 2021

Hi @Alexis Robert @Daniel Ebers 

Unfortunately there is a misunderstanding regarding my first post.

I'm using the rules on the legacy automation page. You can see it in the picture. Here, when a linked issue is closed, I transition the service desk issue to UAT status, but if there are other continuing issues that are linked to my service desk issue, I do not want it to transition to this.

There are issues from different projects linked to the service desk issue.

I couldn't find a way to do this by automation or by adding a validator / condition to the workflow.servicedesk.pngThanks for your help

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

Using Automation I built you a rule the following - it is tested and works fine.
But this would need to switch to Automation.

The rule triggers on commenting your "main" issue and checks if ALL linked issues are in status "Done". If so, the "main" issue (the one which links all other issues) is transitioned to done, too.

Automation.png

If this is not an option here is a previous discussion on Service Desk/Service Management project automation:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-to-use-Automation-to-transition-an-issue-when-ALL-linked/qaq-p/1495265

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2021

Hi @Berna Yavuz

the guide from Alexis should get you started. I just wanted to add that your requirement

How can i change the status of a service desk issue only when all of its linked issues got resolved

could be understood also in a way that the transition of your issue should be blocked (you want to prevent a transition) as long as the linked issues are not resolved.
If so, a validator/condition on the workflow transition would be needed.
However, for the other way aroun...

I'm able to do that once any linked issue gets resolved but id like to trigger it once they all are resolved instead

...the guide of Alexis should suffice.
I only mention this distinction as both requirements are quite common and regularly requested here in Community.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Hi @Berna Yavuz , 

this is possible with the Automation engine in Jira. You can create a rule that will trigger on a transition, check for the linked issue if all its other linked issues are also resolved, and then change its status. It might sound a bit complicated but you can see on the attached screeshot that it's quite simple : 

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 15.24.53.png

Let me know if this helps,

--Alexis

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders