How can i activate my close field configuration on an issue type without messing up the create field configuration

Elaine Gamble February 9, 2016

I created a new issue type and then created new screens:  Create and close.  When I went out and did this for the field configuration - I am not sure how to make the correct field configuration go into affect for the closing of this issue type

thanks

Elaine

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

Screens and field configurations are separate things.

I think you're asking about popping up a screen when your users close an issue, so I'll deal with that one, and then you can tell me I've misunderstood wink  It is simple, but you've looked in the wrong place.  Having the "close" screen is the correct starting point, but you actually pop it up in the workflow - have a look at the workflow scheme for the project, open up the workflow for the issue type you are looking at in edit mode, go to the "close" transition, and look at the information - it should have a screen field in there, which you can change to use your "close" screen!

I just finished up trying just what you said but it just pulled up the screen I created for closing and not to the filed configurations - so it is not making certain fields required upon closure. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

The field configuration has nothing to do with the screens.

If you make a field mandatory in the field configuration, it has to be filled in on creation of the issue, and throughout the lifecycle of the issue.

To make a field mandatory on a transition, you have to add a "validator" that can check the field is filled on the transition.  Same place you found the screen setting.

Elaine Gamble February 10, 2016

Yep - that is the step I missed - I was in the transition screen but did not see when I clicked on Add transition the option to pick a field to make mandatory - I see the following:

Transition Name
Description
Destination Step
Transition View
I think I might need a plug-in or something??
thanks
Elaine

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2016

I'm afraid you are misunderstanding this.  Again, screens are not relevant here.  Look at the validators on the transition (in edit mode)

Elaine Gamble February 10, 2016

Sorry - I found the right area - thanks for helping me find the validator area but the next issue is it seems i need a plug in to do this and I'm not sure which one to get. 

When I click on Add validator I only have two options:

Permission validator

User Permission validator

Thanks

Elaine

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2016

Ah, yes, the off-the-shelf ones are rather sparse.  I'd add the "JIRA Suite Utilities" add-on and try again.  It's well supported, works on Cloud and Server, and is free.  I don't generally use JIRA without it!

Elaine Gamble February 11, 2016

JIRA Suite Utilities appears to be a free plug-in so I am testing this out.  It seems to have what we need - but I have heard the following comments on this plug-in:  "we are occasionally seeing the Anonymous user presented on Transition Tab"

thanks

Elaine

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2016

The field configuration is for creating issues. There isn't one for closing them unless it is a brand new feature.

Darn it - I really thought there was a way for you to require different fields as required upon closure.  sad

0 votes

I think I found it - do you need to go to workflow and go to the close area and select the close screen? 

Suggest an answer