How can i Send Comment via email

Ma Hao January 1, 2014

My JIRA is 6.1.5,

I need a feature to send my comment to other via email.

I suppose the email could be sent by JIRA and mail message format should be as same as the notification mail message.

The send button could be located beside the comment which added by myself.

Is there any guide to develop such plugin?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2014

JIRA does have a Share button on every issue. So, you could copy the comment in question, click the share button, type the intended email address and paste the comment in. That sends a JIRA email with the link to the JIRA issue as well as the comment you pasted in. Obviously that is more work in the moment than a dedicated email button on each comment, but it does not require any additional setup or maintenance, either. It also allows you to modify the comment or add additional notes if necessary, whereas a dedicated email button might not allow you to customize the message being sent.

Ma Hao January 5, 2014

Thanks so much to remind me about the share.

I suppose we can use "@xxx" to share the comment to some one.

For example, @Jerry, this comment is useful.

Then Jerry will recieve the comment.

Sames like the users out of JIRA will be excluded.

But also we can use JEMH to do that like Andy's proposal.

Thanks for all of you

Felix Obes January 14, 2020

It would be nice having the easy access to the permalink on the ticket as well as a dedicated ticket email address, like what Wrike has.

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

Well, on the one hand, the button click thing could be done with JETI, AFAIK its a one shot send, does what you ask, but what about inclusion for further notifications?

If you have someone outside of the JIRA environment, automated user notification is possible with JEMH by just typing their email address into a text custom field. Once 'added', any further issue change can result in a notification, but JEMH allows you to select only the specific events you want (eg ISSUE_COMMENTED) these non-JIRA users to be notified with, you can keep the default content or customize it. JEMH has yet to add a similar button, likely it will happen this soon.

Ma Hao January 2, 2014

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment.

How is the JEMH going on?

We have used JEMH for 2 years.

we prefer to do this by our own since third party plugins always can not satisfy us 100%.

Is there any document about how to develop such feature?

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

Hi Ma, JEMH is going very well, new features are continuous!

When you say you want to develop this yourself, I'm confused, you already have JEMH so you could just add a custom field for email addresses, add an Event Listener Project to catch the events, identify the custom field with the email addressess and pretty much be done. What exactly do you want to develop? A starting point would of course be:

- https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+Plugin+Guide

0 votes
Logan Clemons July 11, 2019

Did you ever find a good solution for this?

Nafees November 11, 2019

Good luck finding any solution!!!

0 votes
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

@Ma,

you can create a people role called 'comment notified users' in your project.

Associate users to whom you want to send the issue comments.

Then goto the project notification scheme , there associate above mentioned role to 'Issue commented' event.

Ma Hao January 2, 2014

Thanks, your workaround can works for me.

But my request scenario is like:

1. End user found this JIRA issue's comment can solve some other's problem who is out of the JIRA system.

2. End user click a send via email button besides the comment,

3. End user input the mail address in the popup form

4. End user click send.

5. End user's target person will recieve the comment which format is as same as watchers notification

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 1, 2014

Hi there,

I believe this is the guide you need, Creating Issue and Comments from Email.

Hope this helps!

Ma Hao January 2, 2014

Thanks for your comment, but what i want is how to Send the Comment from JIRA to End User's mail box via email.

I know about Mail Handler which is used like catching mail to create issue.

jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2014

If the user is watching the issue in the JIRA, they should receive notification when you add a Comment in the JIRA issue unless the notification scheme has been change or comment is restricted.

Ma Hao January 2, 2014

exactly, You are right.

What i want, is send the notification, as same as watchers recieved, to other person who is not watching this issue.

Like Joe Tidey likes this

Suggest an answer