How can customers see moved issues?

Dean Zimmermann September 22, 2014

I have a service desk that supports both help desk break/fix issues, and bug reporting for software development.  I have service desk agents, and a few software developers as collaborators, then of course I have customers who are either staff or select clients of our company who can report problems.  If I try to assign the service desk ticket to a collaborator or developer, it won't let me.  If I move the issue to a software development project, I can then assign the appropriate developer to fix it, but the issue is no longer visible to the customer in the service desk portal when they click on "My Requests" 

I have given Service desk customers browse access to the project, and added individual customers to the Service Desk Customers group.  Right now, I am able to get comments the developer makes to the customer, but how do I allow the customer to see their issues under My Requests?

2 answers

0 votes
Dean Zimmermann September 23, 2014

Thanks, Geert.  We are really just starting out with Jira, and we're subscribing to Agile and the Service Desk addons, but I'm not convinced it is the solution for us yet.

I've been experimenting with the approach you outlined above, but it comes up short in our situation for several reasons. The service desk agents have no value add being a middle-man in this, but the real problem is that our "service desk customers" are internal client service reps who regularly communicate with IT staff who do double duty.  The software developers are regularly called upon to do custom jobs for our company's clients. We need to allow the Service Desk Customers (our CSRs) to see status (e.g. in progress, done), receive communications from the jira-developers, and submit additional attachments in response to questions from developers after the original issue submission.  They also may need to download attachments provided by developers on occasion.  Apart from the Reporter (Customer) being able to see Comments added, they can do none of the other things I just mentioned if I move the original issue from Service Desk, nor if I clone it.

Edit: One more thing.  You mentioned ScriptRunner. Can that be run if I'm using OnDemand (cloud-hosted)?

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2014

Hi Dean, The way things are organized within your company, I would stick with just JIRA and leave Service Desk alone. You can do everything you described perfectly well with JIRA. Of course you do lack the SLA capabilities from Service Desk in JIRA. The Script Runner (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner) is currently not available for cloud. There are more ways to accomplish what I am doing with the Script Runner, but I do not know if any of those ways is available for cloud. Regards, Geert

Dean Zimmermann October 24, 2014

Any idea how can I have individual end-users at our company submit new issues without requiring a license for every one of them unless I use Service Desk to provide the customer interface? No help desk software we've ever used has a license for end-users, just agents. I appreciate that Atlassian has now moved to that model for service desk, but there seems to be no way for a developer to ask one of our internal users for more information without having to telegraph it through a service desk agent.

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2014

Hi Dean,

I am also thinking about how to implement the Service Desk 2.0 for our support. Right now I use the Service Desk project for all customer communication. If development needs to involved, the Service Desk issue is cloned to a development project. When development has fixed the issue, the Service Desk issue is updated so the Service Desk agent can handle the issue further with the customer. This way the customer never loses track of the issue he reported.

This essentially means that all communication goes through the Service Desk agents, so if development needs extra info than development asks the Service Desk agent and the Service Desk agent has to ask the customer. This is fine for our organization, but of course you need to decide if that also applies to your organization.

I am currently using Script Runner to automate the process, in such a way that if the Service Desk agent transitions a issue to a certain state than the issue is automatically cloned to development, and if development resolves that issue than the Service Desk issue is automatically transitioned as well.

Hope this helps.

Geert

Suggest an answer