How can certain JIRA fields be restricted from cloning?

Trevor Samaroo October 4, 2012

I'd like to mark some fields as 'not cloneable'. is that possible? (without customizing the cloning operation code myself)

Thanks!

5 answers

1 vote
Sandor Krisztian Andre September 19, 2018

It's doable with scriptrunner custom postfunction :)

Satya Boddu October 11, 2018

could you give details on how to do it

Like Dirk likes this
0 votes
Rakesh Kande March 28, 2014

can you please let me know if there is a solution for this

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2014

No, nothing new, other than "write your own clone function"

0 votes
Karl Shlayfman November 28, 2012

did you ever figure out a way to accomplish this?

0 votes
Karl Shlayfman November 28, 2012

could you please provide some more info on this. I am also in need to be able to blank fix version when cloning an issue. I see that someone said there is an option of not cloneable whithin field configuration but I can not find it? any help would be really appreciated.

0 votes
Cyril Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

If you have the Jira Suite Utilities plugin....

1. Edit the workflow.
  2. Click on the first step in the workflow.
  3. In the "Workflow Browser" section click "Create Issue" transition.
  4. Add a post function to "Clear Field Value" for each custom field you don't want to clone.
  5. Publish the workflow and try it out.

When you do a Clone it will fire the "Create Issue" transition on the cloned issue and run the new post functions clearing them out. No history will be recorded on the cloned issue showing the fields were cleared out.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2012

Note that this also clears out fields if the users enter them when creating a new issue in that project, so it's only appropriate for fields that you don't want to use on the creation on a new issue.

Like LCD likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2012

Yup, but that's coding in the core of Jira...

Trevor Samaroo October 5, 2012

A clean approach would be to add "not cloneable' to the feild configuration options.

btw, my use case is that i record certain control action, like 'approve', by putting the actioner's name in a field during a workflow post function execution. so cloning clones these audit fields, which is a problem.

Like LCD likes this

Suggest an answer