How can certain JIRA fields be restricted from cloning?

I'd like to mark some fields as 'not cloneable'. is that possible? (without customizing the cloning operation code myself)

Thanks!

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

If you have the Jira Suite Utilities plugin....

1. Edit the workflow.
  2. Click on the first step in the workflow.
  3. In the "Workflow Browser" section click "Create Issue" transition.
  4. Add a post function to "Clear Field Value" for each custom field you don't want to clone.
  5. Publish the workflow and try it out.

When you do a Clone it will fire the "Create Issue" transition on the cloned issue and run the new post functions clearing them out. No history will be recorded on the cloned issue showing the fields were cleared out.

Note that this also clears out fields if the users enter them when creating a new issue in that project, so it's only appropriate for fields that you don't want to use on the creation on a new issue.

Yup, but that's coding in the core of Jira...

A clean approach would be to add "not cloneable' to the feild configuration options.

btw, my use case is that i record certain control action, like 'approve', by putting the actioner's name in a field during a workflow post function execution. so cloning clones these audit fields, which is a problem.

could you please provide some more info on this. I am also in need to be able to blank fix version when cloning an issue. I see that someone said there is an option of not cloneable whithin field configuration but I can not find it? any help would be really appreciated.

did you ever figure out a way to accomplish this?

can you please let me know if there is a solution for this

No, nothing new, other than "write your own clone function"

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

55 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you