How can a user view, but not move any issues on an Agile board?

Kristen Viscardi December 5, 2014

How can a user view, but not move any issues on an Agile board? I tired setting filter shares so only admins and certain groups can view/edit a board and that worked. However I need to set something up where users can view but not edit the board. It seems whenever I try to set this its either everyone can touch and edit the board or they can't see it at all. I also created a permission scheme and set that only admins and certain groups can edit issues and that isn't working.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2014

Might be easier to explain what is going on from the beginning.

First, think of a JIRA project.  It's a collection of issues.  It's also where the configuration is hung - so to enable a permission for "I can see issue", you set it in the permission scheme for the project.  Now, you've said "I've set only admins and groups can edit issues" but not explained what you mean by "that isn't working".  This really is simple - check the permission scheme for "edit".  People named there can edit, people not named there can not.  That's it.

Now, consider an Agile board.  These are easiest to eplain if you think of them as a view.  When you look at a board, it has a filter that says "here's the issues to include".  The only limitation here is that you must share a board with other users.  But that right only lets them see the board.  How the use it is a function of the stuff behind the scenes in the project.  People with "edit" on issues included in the board will be able to edit them on the board.

Third, we need to look at the workflow.  In plain JIRA, that controls who can transition an issue from one status to another.  Now, if you go back to the board, your columns are reflecting status.  So to enable someone to move a card from one column to another, the user must be able to use the transition in the workflow that goes between the status in the columns

So, to give people "View but not edit"

• Share a board with them
  • Make sure they have "Browse" for any projects the board includes
  • Make sure they do NOT have "transition" for any projects the board includes

Suggest an answer