How can a subtask reopen its parent?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2012

I have successfully configure the parent/subtask workflows so that when a subtask changes from Open to In Progress, the parent's status is also changed to In Progress. Same for Close.

But now I want to arrange it so that when a subtask is reopened and the parent's status is closed, the subtask transition will cause the parent story to be reopened.

It seems like if I set them up the way I set up the successful ones it should work. But it doesn't.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2013

Hi George,

I just tested it and I was able to reopen the parent issue when reopening the sub-task. Could you please check if there aren't any mandatory fields when reopening the issue that are not being fulfilled? For instance, if you say the custom field 'Reason for Reopen' is mandatory and the parent issue doesn't have any value on this field, it won't be transitioned.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Clarissa

1 vote
Indranil Mondal June 9, 2016

Hi George,

I am having similar kind of issue, can you please explain how did reopen the parent the parent tasks when subtasks is being reopened? with any post function or code? can you give the code if possible?

0 votes
Indranil Mondal June 10, 2016

I have done it in the same way with that plugin and its working!! Thanks for your quick reply.

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

In my previous answer I described how to reopen a parent issue when one of its subtasks is reopened, but in case you want to reopen an Epic when one of its Stories is reopened you should use "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" post-function with the following configuration:

conf-1.png

conf-2.png

conf-3.png

I'm assuming that Reopened is the name of the status you want to move the Epic when one of its Stories reopened.

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2016

Hi,

You should insert "Copy a parsed text to a field" post-function provided by JIRA Workflow Toolbox in "Reopen Issue" transition of subtask's workflow with the following configuration:

• Target field: Parent's issue status
  • Parsing mode: basic
  • Text to be parsed: Reopened

I'm assuming that Reopened is the name of the status where parent issue should be moved when reopened.

There should be a transition from Closed or Resolved status in parent's workflow to Reopened status, and its conditions and validations should be satisfied.

If you find that this solution doesn't work, please try selecting "Parent's issue status (delayed writing)" in target field instead of "Parent's issue status". Sometimes a condition or a validator is blocking the reopening transition (typically "Reopen Issue") in parent's workflow, since subtask is still closed when we try to reopen parent issue.

Please, let me know if you have any difficulties with this solution.

Fidel

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

Suggest an answer