How can a Bamboo deployment be enabled by multi Jira Issues status update?

changming su October 19, 2014

Hi,

We want to add more restriction on permission of Bamboo deployment. Say we have several Issues need to be released at a time, we want to make sure they're all set as status of "Approved". Then associated deployment plan can be triggered. 

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. 

1 answer

0 votes
cbenard1
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2014

Hi Changming,

Currently this cannot be done natively in Bamboo. As such I've created this feature request to add this ability to our product integration: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-15132 Please feel free to add your comments/concerns directly to this ticket. Please also become a watcher so you receive updates directly from our development team.

I believe you may be able to achieve a similar effect in the mean time. You'll want to configure JIRA to kick off builds in Bamboo for starters. Then you'll have the deployment only kicked off from that build. From here you'll want to manage your permissions from JIRA. As you do not want the build/deploy to fire until several JIRA issues are approved make the JIRA issue that kicks off the build a parent of the issues you wish to have in "approved" status. Then you can approve all the sub-tasks (child issues), trigger a release from the JIRA issue, kick off the build, then deploy.

Thanks!

Turner

changming su October 21, 2014

Thanks for your answer! I have two more questions: 1. How to trigger a release from Jira issue? The link is referred to trigger release from Version page in project admin. But you can still ignore unresolved issues and trigger a build. 2. If we ignore question-1, we want to release from Jira. How can we prompt existing build for deployment? In Bamboo, it's quite straightforward. You can select certain "Release" and deploy to different environments. How can we achieve this if we create a new build plan(no tasks but only link to deploy)? How can we find existing release in other build/deploy plan? Thanks.

Suggest an answer