How can I view a history of login attempts to help identify that a user is using the wrong username?

Jeff August 21, 2013

If a user is attemping to login with the wrong credentials, there is no 'last login attempt' created for their profile. So, is there a table or a log that chronicles ALL login attempts where we can look and see what the user is actually using versus what they should be using?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2013

Hi Jeff,

You can view the information from the user sessions under the Security on the JIRA Administration page.

From there you are able to tell who is trying to establish the session and which session is still active. Failed session will have no session ID and no user, but it will track which ip is the request from.

Hope this is what you are looking for. Cheers

Jeff August 21, 2013

That works! I can trace the ip to the hostname and then with the hostname I can get a login record letting me know who was logged into that hostname when the invalid login attempt was made against JIRA. Thanks much!

0 votes
Lars Lundegård December 19, 2016

As you could audit UserAuthenticationFailedInvalidAuthenticationEvent in Bitbucket would be great!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/audit-events-in-bitbucket-server-776640423.html

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

Is this Jira On-Demand or self hosted Jira?

0 votes
Jeff August 21, 2013

This is self hosted Jira.

0 votes
Jeff August 21, 2013

Norman, this is self hosted JIRA.

Udo, thank you. Yes, I am aware that you can see the failed attempts and last login for a user. I am looking for a log that will tell me what logins have been attempted. As an Admin, even seeing the password doesn't matter as I could reset it at anytime anyway. But, the password is not my concern, it is the usernames. If a person is using all caps, the failed login attempt will not be logged under their user profile, because JIRA does not see ABC123 as the same thing as abc123.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

If you view as adminstrator an user detail (user-management -->user) you see Current Failed Login Count. This is 0 if the last attempt was successfull. If not you got the numbers of failed attempts.

I doubt that the wrong passwords are logged.

Jeff August 21, 2013

Thanks, Udo. Yes, I am aware that you can see the failed attempts and last login for a user. I am looking for a log that will tell me what logins have been attempted. As an Admin, even seeing the password doesn't matter as I could reset it at anytime anyway. But, the password is not my concern, it is the usernames. If a person is using all caps, the failed login attempt will not be logged under their user profile, because JIRA does not see ABC123 as the same thing as abc123.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2013

Wrong User name will of course not be logged at the user profile. Maybe you could see that in the logs.

Like korsuk likes this

Suggest an answer