How can I use the mail handler user creation setting to add someone into a group other than jira-users?

Greg Warner April 23, 2013

I have issue submissions coming from external customers and being handled by the mail handler.

I've enabled account creation for those user accounts that don't have access to the system. This works fine and users are placed in the jira-users group

However the issues in this project shouldn't be visible by other people (1000+) who use the same JIRA instance. For this reason the jira-users group is placed in the Users role. All other roles are done by adding individual members.

Issue security is then applied so that only those in the Developer role, or Reporter can view issues.

This works fine except that external customers do not get notifications that their issue has been received or any comments relating to it.

If I place external users into a Developer role, they do get notifications.

It seems to me that the issue security is causing the problem. So I'd like to put all of these users in one group and remove the issue security requirement.

What configuration exists that allows for submission by external parties, removing the project from general view, while allowing email notifications? Is it possible to define which group newly accounts are placed in? For example they are placed in a jira-external-users group instead of jira-users ?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

JETI is like magic. We use it primarilly for:

- Ad hoc emails to non jira users in and distribution lists

- Notifying a non-JIRA user their request has been received (and since they can't access the ticket, we use a modified Issue Created template to message a phone number to call for any information about the ticket)

- Paper trail for communication outside of the ticket, since it comments that an email was sent.

Can do so much more with it... custom templates and stuff... worth every penny.

1 vote
Greg Warner May 8, 2013

and using JETI is exactly what I did. For the price it's hard to go wrong.

0 votes
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2013

Hi there,

You can consider the plugin below:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.metainf.jira.plugin.emailissue

It supports notification for non jira user, meaning external group.

Hope this helps :)

Suggest an answer