How can I use a transition to change issue type with a different workflow

Mark Huey July 13, 2016

We have 2 workflows in our Service Desk support project. One workflow is for the task issue type and the other workflow is for all other issue types. We have a task workflow because it is very simple with open>in progress>closed, while all the other issue types have a complex workflow they must go through after set to In Progress. 

I have set the "New Request" issue type for all issues created by Service Desk email request automation. So when new issues are created via auto email import, they are set to an issue type that is in the complex workflow. I have set up a transition where agents then fill in all the required fields and "convert" the issue to a different issue type based on the request. They can only select the issue types that are in that workflow however. I need them to also be able to select the Tast issue type that has a different workflow without having to use the "Move" feature every time. 

Is there a way to use a transition to move the issue to a type of a different workflow? Or a way I can allow agents to select the Task issue type in the "Convert Issue" screen? 

We also utilize JIRA Workflow Toolbox and Bob Swift Update on Transition add ons. I do not see a way to do this thorough those add ons either. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2016

Changing an issue type is not a trivial action in JIRA (like changing a custom field value).  All the configuration of the issue hangs off project and issue type, and the process needs to include steps to make sure that the data remains consistent between the types when the configuration for them is different.

So, there's no way to do it without either the same configuration for both types, or a move (as move supports all the checking and updates for config changes)

If you are confident that you can handle any config changes in code, then you could write something to do it, but you really would need to be very careful to catch everything correctly, and make sure your admins don't make config changes that break your code.  I've mentioned coding there - you're going to need something like the Script Runner, or your own add-on to do this.

Andrew Bilukha April 26, 2018

"Changing an issue type is not a trivial action in JIRA"  - it should be, though, if everything else remains the same. :)

Say IssueType1 and IssueType2 have same fields, same workflow, or some common workflow statuses, etc.  If it's possible to move issue type from 1 to 2 without necessity to adjust statuses, field, etc., the process should be effortless.

If moving necessitates the adjustment of anything, in that case yes, let's do the 10 mouse click exercise.

Suggest an answer