How can I turn off ability to create a Software Development Project?

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2014

In our live instance (version 6.1.6), we have turned off the ability for users to create new projects using either the "Issue Tracking" or "Software Development" templates, as these create a large amount of unwanted customized schemes.

We are currently testing version 6.3.3 in our dev environment before moving live.  However, the module "jira-softwaredevelopment-item" that we disabled in the "JIRA Core Project Templates Plugin" (version 2.28) for our live 6.1.6 instance does not appear under that plugin (version 2.42) for our 6.3.3 environment (and users can select the "Software Development" project template when creating a new project).

Where has this module moved to, so that I can find it and disable it?

6 answers

2 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

Newest update for at least JIRA 7.1.x: 

To disable the Scrum, Kanban, and/or Basic Software Project Templates, i found their modules under "Application Components" > JIRA Agile: 
* disable "gh-scrum-template"

* disable "gh-kanban-template"

* disable "basic-software-development-template"

I do this so that no new issue type schemes, screen schemes, workflow schemes, etc are created by someone creating a new project and selecting a type.  I've got mine much more centrally controlled so that they have to copy a certain existing template project which will give them the correct schemes and reduce redundancy or mismatching

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2017

man .... I can't tell you how happy I am that I wrote these answers because I keep having to go back to them myself hahaha

Edward Dumser June 14, 2017

Thank you for sharing this!

1 vote
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2015

Sorry that I forgot where it was in the 6.x versions, but for version 7, if you want to disable the Basic Software Development project template, there is no module that you can disable.  Instead you have to run the following SQL query to edit the database value for it:

> insert into pluginstate values ('com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:basic-software-development-template', 'false');

Source: Atlassian Support

NOTE: This is no longer necessary as I found the specific module for this under Manage Add-ons > Application Components > JIRA Agile (see my second Answer for this question for details)

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2017

If you also wish to disable these for the new demo project creation function:

* Under "JIRA Core Project Templates Plugin" disable "core-demo-project" module
* Under "JIRA Agile" plugin, disable "software-demo-project-scrum" and "software-demo-project-kanban" modules

:)

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2015

Once we upgraded to 6.4.11, I was able to find the following module to turn off:

JIRA for Software Plugin - "jira-software-development-project-template"

Disabling that module removed the selection from project creation screen.  smile

0 votes
Rene Kyewski November 27, 2015

I'm wondering the same thing.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2015

DELETED as have newer update

Suggest an answer