How can I turn off ability to create a Software Development Project?

In our live instance (version 6.1.6), we have turned off the ability for users to create new projects using either the "Issue Tracking" or "Software Development" templates, as these create a large amount of unwanted customized schemes.

We are currently testing version 6.3.3 in our dev environment before moving live.  However, the module "jira-softwaredevelopment-item" that we disabled in the "JIRA Core Project Templates Plugin" (version 2.28) for our live 6.1.6 instance does not appear under that plugin (version 2.42) for our 6.3.3 environment (and users can select the "Software Development" project template when creating a new project).

Where has this module moved to, so that I can find it and disable it?

6 answers

Newest update for at least JIRA 7.1.x: 

To disable the Scrum, Kanban, and/or Basic Software Project Templates, i found their modules under "Application Components" > JIRA Agile: 
* disable "gh-scrum-template"

* disable "gh-kanban-template"

* disable "basic-software-development-template"

I do this so that no new issue type schemes, screen schemes, workflow schemes, etc are created by someone creating a new project and selecting a type.  I've got mine much more centrally controlled so that they have to copy a certain existing template project which will give them the correct schemes and reduce redundancy or mismatching

man .... I can't tell you how happy I am that I wrote these answers because I keep having to go back to them myself hahaha

Thank you for sharing this!

Sorry that I forgot where it was in the 6.x versions, but for version 7, if you want to disable the Basic Software Development project template, there is no module that you can disable.  Instead you have to run the following SQL query to edit the database value for it:

> insert into pluginstate values ('com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:basic-software-development-template', 'false');

Source: Atlassian Support

NOTE: This is no longer necessary as I found the specific module for this under Manage Add-ons > Application Components > JIRA Agile (see my second Answer for this question for details)

DELETED as have newer update

I'm wondering the same thing.

Once we upgraded to 6.4.11, I was able to find the following module to turn off:

JIRA for Software Plugin - "jira-software-development-project-template"

Disabling that module removed the selection from project creation screen.  smile

If you also wish to disable these for the new demo project creation function:

* Under "JIRA Core Project Templates Plugin" disable "core-demo-project" module
* Under "JIRA Agile" plugin, disable "software-demo-project-scrum" and "software-demo-project-kanban" modules

:)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,321 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot