How can I track actions made by JIRA administrators?

Sergey Shmarkatyuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

It has happened that not only me, but several other users have administrative priviledges to JIRA and, unfortunatley, I can do nothing about it. Some of administrators do whatever they want in JIRA (there are some managers I cannot tell what to do or not to do, they just do it) and it turns out that very often I need to clean after them. But the problem is that I do not know what has been changed recently as long as I have no track of administrative actions performed in JIRA.

So, the question is following:

Can I track somehow what has been changed recently by JIRA administrators? Can I enable some logging, notification, tracking feature, etc? That would help me a lot.

I understand that it is not a usual situation and administrators should know what they do, but that's, unfortunately, not my case.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

Try this link

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+and+Profiling

You need to look into the logs "atlassian-jira.log", where you can check when and what has happened in jira.

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2012

I've been there too, and feel your pain.

In fact, most of my roles have started with a significant element of "we've got loads of administrators and the system is an unmaintainable mess". I'd highly recommend locking down who can administrate it to as small a team as possible, and making sure that that team IS a team - do what you can to get them to communicate, talk and ask before risking things. (Avoid a committee of administrators though, it's all about talking)

As C. Faysal says, plugins found by that search are well worth looking into. I've direct experience with the one by Plugenta, and I can recommend it (I'm a happy end-user of that one, I'm not advertising).

If no plugins allowed there, or you struggle with the cost, then your other option is the logs, but it's very hard work unpicking who's done what and you can only get partial information.

Sergey Shmarkatyuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2012

Nic,

Thanks a lot for your comment.

But Option

" I'd highly recommend locking down who can administrate it to as small a team as possible, and making sure that that team IS a team"

is not applicable in my case. Making team of users who have been included into the administrators group for some reason is just absolutely impossible.

I will go either with audit plugin (not sure managers will agree to pay for this plugin; in fact, they cannot even buy atlassian university for the company, which is much more important for my team than auditing plugins) or with the logs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2012

Bother - the best solution in this case is the human one - simplify the administrators group down as far as possible. It's very easy in larger corporate/enterprise places because having too many administrators rapidly leaves them in a mess and it's easy to justify limiting it (especially after admin X breaks a system in a way that could land managers in jail...)

But I do understand that some places would struggle to do this.

Like Adil Kamalsha likes this
0 votes
ijaz ahmad March 24, 2018

The easiest thing for me to do in this case is to look at jira audit log and see who is doing what.

Suggest an answer