How can I show the same issue in two different projects?

Fernando Claros August 6, 2013

We have a project in which our customer create bugs and feature requests.

Our team is working in another project where we have our own features and our internal private information.

Is there a way to show the bugs entered by our customer in our main development project? We don't want to copy them, to avoid overhead. Instead, we would need them to be the same issues, so our customer sees them change as our team works on them. Moreover, if our customer enters a comment we would need our team to see that in their side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2013

You can't.

An issue belongs to a single project. That's it.

You could start trying to do things with links, displays and crossovers, but that needs some coding. Even duplicating (which you'd prefer to avoid) requires some coding.

For your needs though, I'd take a different approach and use permissions. You have one project. The permission scheme for "browse" should say "Our developers, reporter-only and nominated people". This is how Atlassian handle their Support project - they can see it all, the people who report an issue can see ONLY the issues they report and there's a function to include other people.

The reporter-only trick is important though - you can't just say "reporter" in an off-the-shelf Jira, you need to enable an extra function. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission

Fernando Claros August 8, 2013

Thanks a lot, Nic! You have been really helpful :)

1 vote
Robert Dibley August 6, 2013

issue queries are not limited to a single project - the only problem is if you rely on something which doesn't exist in one of the projects, which can easily happen if you customise a lot, but doing a multi-project query is easy enough, even using the basic interface. So, although you would not actually be seeing the issue in another project, you could have it in a query tailored to your teams requirements.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2013

Yes, my apologies, I didn't even mention reporting. When you say "show an issue in two different projects", you can't have the issue in two places, but there's absolutely nothing to stop you reporting on it across projects.

Fernando Claros August 8, 2013

Thanks for pointing this out Robert! Your remark is very relevant in our context :)

Suggest an answer