How can I set up different field requirements by issue type?

Dov Frankel October 31, 2017

This is my goal: Bug issue type requires three fields (Steps to Reproduce, Expected Results, Actual Results) that no other issue type does. All other issue types share the default configuration (for all types of configuration). I'd like to go so far as to hide the three bug-specific fields so they don't even show up as an option for non-Bugs.

I've got my fields configured so the default configuration hides the three fields, and the "bug" configuration shows them and requires them. And yet, Bugs follow the default configuration. If I hide the Actual Results field in the default configuraiton, it doesn't show on the Bugs screen, and none of them are required for Bugs. 

Below I've posted screenshots of all the configuration I think is relevant. Let me know if I missed anything. I've given a caption for each screenshot, and the last one shows the issue creation screen that's not behaving as I expect.

Actual Results custom field:

2017-10-31_9-14-57.png

Only a single field configuration scheme:

2017-10-31_9-15-52.png

Default configuration scheme:

2017-10-31_9-16-27.png

Default field configuration:2017-10-31_9-18-28.png

Bug field configuration:2017-10-31_9-19-11.png

Bug screen configuration:2017-10-31_9-20-03.png

Default screen configuration:

2017-10-31_9-20-51.png

Create Issue screen:

Note that Actual Results is hidden, and Steps to Reproduce and Expected Results are not required.

2017-10-31_9-22-45.png

Where's My Field?:

2017-10-31_11-07-04.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Beejal _London_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

Hi @Dov Frankel

Have you assigned the Bug screen to a Screen Scheme?

This might help if you haven't done that:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/associating-a-screen-with-an-issue-operation-802592588.html

Kind regards

Beejal

Yes, that is configured. I'm seeing different fields on the Bug screen than on the default screen, but the fields' configuration is wrong. They're hidden when they shouldn't be, and they're not required.

Beejal _London_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

Hi @Dov Frankel

Perhaps another obvious answer but just so we can eliminate possible issues...

Can you check the following via the Jira project you want the field configuration associated to:

- Screen - has the correct screen and Screen scheme been applied to the Jira project

- has the field configuration been associated to the Jira Project?

- when you're in the isre 'configure fields' is set to all (attached screen shot)

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 14.51.51.png

Beejal _London_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

And yes agree with @Tarun Sapra suggestion below about the 'where is my field feature - you should also click on that.

I can confirm everything you asked is set up correctly, except the field configuration's association with the project. You can see in my second screenshot that I only have a single Field Configuration Scheme, and it has no projects listed under it. It looked to me like that meant it applied to all projects. Is that not the case?

Beejal _London_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

Hi @Dov Frankel

If I'm reading your screen shot correctly that looks like the list of field configurations you have setup on your Jira instance.

What you then have to do is associate that field configuration with the Jira project or specify an issue type association.

This should help: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-field-configuration-scheme-844500805.html?_ga=2.51414633.1901907075.1509353518-204997263.1500891987

Let us know how you get on.

Beejal

That's it! My projects are all associated with "System Default Field Configuration", rather than the only one listed, which is the similarly named "Default Field Configuration Scheme". Switching them over fixed that. Thanks!

Can you update your answer to reflect where we ended up? I'll accept it then.

Beejal _London_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

Awesome @Dov Frankel - so pleased that worked for you :-)

I've done as requested below. Thank you

0 votes
Beejal _London_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

Hi @Dov Frankel

You have to associate the new feild configuration you setup with the Jira project or specify an issue type association.

This should help: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-field-configuration-scheme-844500805.h...

Let us know how you get on.

Beejal

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

Hello Dov,

Make sure that the IssueType screen scheme for the project contains proper mapping for the bug issueType thus there is a "Bug screen scheme" having the "Kanban Bug screen" for the create/edit/view operations.

Also, it's not a good idea to map custom fields to global "all issuetypes" contexts.

Regards,

Tarun

Yes, I do have the "Kanban Bug Screen Sheme" that contains "Kanban Bug Screen" for "all unmapped operations". The "Kanban Issue Type Screen Scheme" maps Bugs to that screen scheme.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

JIRA provides good information about why some fields are missing. You can always runt hat check. On the create screen pop-up on the top right there is an option of "Configure fields" you can click on that option and then click on the link "Where is my field?" and then enter the name of the missing field and JIRA will automatically provide you with the right answer as to why the field is not appearing on the screen.

Thanks, I did try that. I updated my question with the screenshot of it at the bottom. Is it normal that it doesn't refer to the "Default Field Configuration" instead of the "Bug Field Configuration"?

It does look like that's the problem, but I can't figure out why it's not using the Bug Field Configuration I set up.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

Can you paste the screenshot of the project's "Field configuration scheme" ?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-a-field-configuration-scheme-844500805.html

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2017

Also, in the project have you mapped the project with the project's field configuration scheme?

Suggest an answer