How can I set the default issue summary text in JIRA Service Desk Cloud?

Andres Montalban March 9, 2016

Hi,

We are testing JIRA Service Desk Cloud for our service desk, we are currently using ServiceNow and want to migrate some process that are automated and have custom fields/forms.

In this process I created a custom screen with the fields that I want to show but I'm not able to hide the Summary field or set a default text for it, based on Google findings it seems it was possible to do it with JavaScript but that didn't work for me.

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 6.55.41 PM.png

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

JIRA requires a summary as it is used everywhere to give users a brief idea of what the issue is about.

Your screenshot says things to me that make me want to suggest that instead of having a "survey id", you should ask the user for the survey id as the summary of the issue (for that request type only).  Saves you a field and solves the summary problem.

Andres Montalban March 9, 2016

Hi Nic,

For this particular use case you are correct, but I'm not sure if it's a good workaround for all use cases we have specially because the Summary field label can't be changed to say "Survey ID" or whatever field I need (If it's a text field).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

It's a bit of a cheat as I've done something similar in the past - on Server, you have the flexibility to install something that will take the summary and copy it over into the "survey id" and then set the summary to something a bit more informative (like "Survey id is: xxxxx").  You still need the summary populated, but as it echoes the custom field, it looks a lot better.

Suggest an answer