How can I set issues that are scheduled in other portfolio plan as dependencies (co-engineering)

Jaap Weber April 16, 2018

How can I use a scheduled issue (in another portfolio plan) as a dependency for scheduling my own portfolio plan?

Context

We are using different portfolio plans for different products. One product - 9 teams - that is depending on development in a supporting product - 4 teams. We don't want to combine these two plans into one big portfolio plan (because of performance, stakeholders, etc).

The (chief) product owners of these plans discuss dependencies and agree how en when to synchronise the dependencies; i.e. by setting the target dates. When the planning changes a new discussion can happen and the target dates can be set again.

What we want to do is see the Epic from the supporting plan in the other plan and use it as a dependency.

Failed Workaround I

We have tried a workaround to show this dependency (use the schedule epic based upon target dates and leave the estimate empty), but when it doesn't have an estimate the schedule doesn't take the dependencies into consideration. If we do give it an estimate it tries to schedule the dependency on this plan, where we have incomplete view of all the work and cannot schedule it correctly.

Failed Workaround II

We also tried to create dummy epics that we can relate to the dependent epic. This resulted in a lot of manual replanning / balancing of the books every time something changes.

Do you have any good suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Jaap Weber April 25, 2018

Atlassian support says the above is not (yet) possible.

There is an open suggestion that can be voted for on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1218

Suggest an answer