How can I set estimate for a scrum issue?

Gabor Dely April 16, 2015

Hi,

Can you please explain how I can set estimated time for a scrum issue?

I have the field where log work asks how to amend the estimate, but don't seem to have the option to set the estimate itself. Tried it as backlog issue and looked for the field "estimate" but no luck.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Gabor

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2015

The "field" you need is "original estimate".  I use quotes because the field is not quite a simple "field" in the sense that others are.  The field is called "Time Tracking" when you are an admin configuring the screens and projects, but it displays different labels and inputs at different times depending on the context.

Gabor Dely April 17, 2015

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Can you tell me how I can set this to be visible? I don't see such options as "time tracking".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2015

You need to make sure the time-tracking is on the create/edit screens - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Bonnie Snipes April 17, 2015

I've noticed on most screens for administrators there is a "where is my field?" button which I have found extremely helpful.

Cecilia Strömberg May 8, 2015

Thank you that helped - only now I wonder if I´ve missed the chance to set an Original Estimate once the issues are already created with that set in that first "create" screen. When I open to Edit I get other options but not to set the "original estimate" it seems, or can that be done?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2015

Sounds like you are using different screens for "Create" and "Edit" - just add the timetracking field to the "Edit" screen as well as create.

Suggest an answer