How can I set default Summay field in JIRA Cloud?

Davina Tsosie April 6, 2017

I've created a project that doesn't need a summary field so I would like to have Summary autopopulated with something generic for all issues. I've researched some and cannot find a difinitive answer for JIRA Cloud.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Davina

3 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2017

You'd have to run a script at creation time. I believe the cloud now has scripting. Just curious, if you don't use the summary field how do you identify the issue?

Tammy Robinson September 30, 2017

That's the same thing I asked my user owner.  We are replacing SyncNotes with JIRA.  They will use it to manage requests for loan equipment.  However, there is a dropdown list to manage what equipment they are loaning.  

I have an on-premise instance of JIRA, not cloud.  And all the scripting I've seen requires additional $.  I do not want to invest for this one small function.  Just curious if there is a way to do it at creation time.

Thanks for your reply.

0 votes
Tammy Robinson September 29, 2017

I have the same question.  And there is no pre-function so since the summary is required, it cannot be set in the post function.  Is there another way?

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2017

Hi Davina, you can achieve that by using a post function in the 'create' transition. You can read more about this at Using a post function to set a field.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ana

Davina Tsosie April 25, 2017

Create goes to my next step. Not seeing where you would place this post function. Summary is a required field on the initial Create screen.

Can you elaborate?

Davina Tsosie May 15, 2017

Any additional information available?

Suggest an answer