How can I send notifications to an email address based on Issue Type?

Brett Ryan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

I want to be able to send a notification to an email address based on an issue type for a project. At first I thought I could just copy my workflow and associate multiple workflow schemes that had been associated with different issue types, though I can't seem to get more than one workflow scheme associated with a project, actually I can get two but one ends up being the default JIRA and the last one that I assigned.

Now I'm thinking I may have to resort to some sort of groovy script to do it.

2 answers

1 vote
Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

In your current workflow add transitions specific to issue types (you can use condiitons to differenciate transtions specific to issue type)

Then in that particular transtion you can use post functions to specific email address - this should be the simple

Brett Ryan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2012

That would turn a fairly simple workflow into a very complicated one I think. Since each transition would then need to be duplicated for each of the issue types in question.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2012

It would, but it will do the job you need.

If you want to do it in Groovy, that will work too, but you'll need to subvert much of the email system (i.e. don't send any events that trigger emails via notification schemes, and do it all in your workflow functions, with lots of "if transition X then send mail Y" type things)

0 votes
JonasC January 7, 2016

Hi,

I created this plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.koncis.atlassian.issue-type-notification-schemes/server/overview

By defining notification schemes as usual, you can create (with the plugin) issue type notification schemes, and thereby map issue types to notification schemes. 

For instance, Stories goes to project leader, bugs to Support Team, and so on.

I hope that helps you all.

Please let me know if you find any problems using it.

Suggest an answer