How can I send JIRA invites for users that were imported?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2016

I have setup JIRA Service Desk (Cloud) including importing tickets from our previous (Spiceworks) system. As a result of the import I now have all of these users but am unsure how to initiate an invite email to each user. Any ideas on this?

1 answer

1 vote
Yuting Qin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2016

if you are in cloud, just re-invite them again from customers->invite customer, an invitation email will be sent to them.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2016

That is the issue....there is no "reinvite" option since they were never invited in the first place. They came in thru an import. Unless I'm missing the reinvite somewhere.

The only option the User Management screen provides is "deactivate". So they are activate w/o any password. The only option I see at the moment is to go thru each of these users, set a temp password, have them log in and then change their password.

Yuting Qin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2016

you can do it from customers page within your service desk project, click invite customers and put in their user name or email address and click add, you customer will then get an invitation email which they can use to set their password.

image2016-9-13 9:13:33.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2016

got it. yes I think that will work for me as I can export all users into excel, concatenate the emails w/ commas separating them. I assume the comma-separated is the correct format.

Thanks!

Yuting Qin
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2016

you can separate the email/user names with either comma or space, both should work.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2016

I thought I would provide an update. This hasn't really worked as I had hoped. Since the user already exists in the system (never logged in) when they receive the "invite" email and attempt to login & create a password they receive a 'user already exists' notification. At this point I think I'm going to have to provide all users w/ an initial password and the portal link via an email. From there they can log in and change their password. Very cumbersome.

Suggest an answer