How can I see the number of users counting towards the license on JIRA?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

How can I see the number of users counting towards the license on JIRA?

I do mention that I do have an Unlimited user license on this instance but because of the huge spike on the pricing made by Atlassian we do want to downgrade to a lower number.

So far I was unable to find the current number of users.

Please note that disabled users are not counted so the size of jira-users group is not a correct measure.

3 answers

1 vote
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Hi,

In the administration section, under System > License, you see an overview of your current license including the limit and the total number of active users.

Regards,

Geert

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

This is where I looked and there is no number there. User Limit: Unlimited

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

Hm, I assumed that it would display the number of active users as it does in my case, but that only seems to apply to limited licenses. You can query your database as described in a KB article, but before you do that, you might want to try this suggestion in the comments of the same article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Get+a+List+of+Active+Users+Counting+Towards+the+JIRA+License?focusedCommentId=394463339#comment-394463339.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2014

All userids in any group with logon rights (jira-users by default) count toward the license.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

You can query on the database

select count(*) from cwd_user where active = 1

I believe the active user have active = 1 but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

The query if far from being correct, it will count disabled user directories too, count users in multiple directories twice and also will count people that could logon to JIRA but never did (which are not members of jira-users yet).

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

Ah, correct. should be "count (distinct lower_user_name)" for those users set up in different directories. Since I never had disabled directories the query was correct for me. So please use the query as described in KB article mentioned by Geert. Users that are set up but did not login however count towards the user license, as far as I know. And to be precise you would need to substract 1 (for the admin account which does not count towards the license).

Suggest an answer