How can I search of child issues from non-parent list

Penny Weartz October 18, 2017

I have a filter of all issues with a certain fixVersion. My team updates the parent story, but not the child. I want to be able to take that filtered list and with a click or two, be able to filter with all the children so I can bulk update the fixVersion. this is how we get work off of our Kanban boards and it would be great if I didn't have to create a new filter by typing in all the parent stories.

Example:

1st filter --> fixVersion = 'xyx" 

Resutls --> IssueKey = 123, 234, 345, 456

2nd filter --> parent in (123, 234, 345, 456)

Is there a way I can get Jira to do this conversion for me without retyping the 2nd filter? I have dozens of stories/issues in a fixVersion. Please advise. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2017

Hi Penny,

Within the native Jira code, I don't believe there is currently a way for JQL to do be able to do this.   The parent field is explicitly expecting issue keys to be input there.  Unfortunately this field does not permit us to pass it another existing filter.  

However I believe you can more easily find these issues if you were to use a 3rd party plugin like Scriptrunner.  This plugin provides a number of other JQL functions, specifically it has improved functions that allow you to use subqueries in regards to subtasks and parent issue relations.

If you had scriptrunner installed with Jira, you could then run a single JQL query such as:

issuefunction in subtasksOf("fixVersion = 1.0")

This query would only return the subtasks of issues that have a fixversion value of "1.0", not the parent issues themselves with that fixversion.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Andy 

Suggest an answer