How can I schedule/automate Excel reports in Jira

Lorie Sauriol June 6, 2011

I have a requirement to produce a regular excel report from Jira. I see how I can manually export to excel from a filter and I see how I can schedule a filter to run regularly and email a text report to selected users. Is there a way to automate the filter to generate an excel report daily or weekly?

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Philipp Suchan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

See here for the official Jira Cloud to Excel export:  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221301/jira-cloud-for-excel-official

This add-in supports scheduled refresh of Jira data in Excel.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 11, 2019

@Philipp Suchan Just out of curiosity: did you go ahead and accepted your own answer at every question you posted this new information to?

Also, is this not against the Community Guidelines of "No necroposting", aka In general, avoid posting on old threads (six months or more old) simply to promote your products?

It's something community members like me used to get called out, so we try not to do it. The guidelines articles does say that it's for Marketplace Vendors and Solution Partners, so I just would like to understand if there is a double-standard here and how seriously Atlassian takes its own guidelines. 

Like # people like this
Farzaneh Shalbaf Hosseinabadi December 1, 2019

How do you schedule the refresh data? In other words how do you automate it? All I see is the manual Refresh Data. 

Krishneel Bhan August 25, 2020

@Philipp Suchan Only the Google Sheets add on has the feature to automatically refresh data on a set schedule, how do we do this in the Excel version? I am in need of this feature to be able to use it in Excel online please...

12 votes
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2011

Something like this should work:

wget -O <friendly_name>.xls --ignore-length=on "http://<jira_server>/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-excel-all-fields/<filter_id>/SearchRequest-<filter_id>.xls?tempMax=1000&os_username=<username>&os_password=<password>"

naresh veeragoni July 31, 2014

where do you run this command? is there any pre-requisites?

hrzadnn September 14, 2014

Could you please answer Naresh's question? Thank you very much!

hrzadnn September 24, 2014

Hello @Justin Downing , could you please tell me where do you run this command?

justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2014

@Hariz Ad You can run this anywhere that has access to JIRA via HTTP

Like Chris Welch likes this
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2014

@naresh veeragoni You need to run it from the command-line on a Linux or Mac OS X machine. The "wget" command simply downloads a file from the Internet.

Debabrata Sahu October 5, 2017

@justindowning Can you please help me replace the command with proper details:

like my jira url is : http://ontrack-internal-uat.com 

filter id:40040

username: dsahu

password: abc123

I have made below command with my details:

wget -O <friendly_name>.xls --ignore-length=on
"http://<ontrack-internal-uat.amd.com>/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-excel-all-fields/<40040>/SearchRequest-<40040>.xls?tempMax=1000&
os_username=<dsahu>&os_password=<Deba#2015>

but unfortunately it is not working.

Rivo Tahina Razafindratsifa November 23, 2017

Hi,

Do you mean replacing these values by your owns ?

&lt;friendly_name&gt  by <friendly_name>

&lt;ontrack-internal-uat.amd.com&gt by <;ontrack-internal-uat.amd.com>

and so on ?

BR

Shoaib Khan March 13, 2018

Yes...

you need to do some replacements as per valid syntaxes.

like "wget -O <Output Filename>" is the actual syntax for wget -O&lt;frienldly_name&gt;.xls

so, with this URL it'll be written as:

wget -O Output.xls --ignore-length=on "http://jira.xyz.com/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-excel-all-fields/..... and so on.

Frank Bell August 18, 2018

None of these answers seem to work correctly.  Can someone provide a full example that actually still works today.

Sudheer Kumar Karumooru July 2, 2019

Yes I also need an answer and eagerly waiting. We generate daily, weekly and monthly reports. Please someone assist step by step... :) 

7 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2014

Excel Automation Plugin for JIRA makes automatically generating Excel exports from JIRA easy.

The idea is that it integrates the super-awesome Automation Plugin (a visual automation framework) and Better Excel Plugin (a customizable Excel generator for JIRA), enabling to define simple if-this-happens-then-generate-email-or-save-an-Excel-spreadsheet type of rules. (See the screenshot below about configuring a rule.)

See this article for a tutorial.

jira-excel-automatic.png

Tarak Technic December 19, 2018

Does trail version has all the features. I don't see automation tab anywhere on ADMIN settings.

3 votes
Raimonds Simanovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

You can use eazyBI reporting application with JIRA integration which will perform regular JIRA import into eazyBI and then you can create reports, charts and dashboards from JIRA issues data. eazyBI provides also results export in Excel format.

Manavendra Solanki December 10, 2012

Is this possible to export all issues from JIRA to excel sheet at regular intervals using eazyBI?

Raimonds Simanovskis
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2012

No, currently it is not possible to do automated exports at regular intervals. The main purpose of eazyBI is to create reports and charts for end-users, Excel export is just as add-on feature in some cases when you would like to use selected data for other needs.

3 votes
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2011

Perhaps, create some wget/curl scripts? Some examples here.

Lorie Sauriol June 7, 2011

Thanks so much for the wget posts! That worked perfect for me.

naresh veeragoni July 31, 2014

link to examples is not working, can you please update?

chinna reddy December 1, 2015

Link to example doesn't show anything. Please update the link.

BSO Network Solutions March 9, 2017

Update the link please

and the link updated??? where is it??

Thanks! ;)

2 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2011

JIRA Command Line Interface has a getIssueList action that produces a csv file of issues from a filter or JQL query. The command can be added to any scheduler or automation you like. Excel will handle a csv file.

Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

Don't you need to be an admin to use this if the issue contains custom fields? (output 999)

mridula c June 24, 2016

Hello Bob,

I am able to produce a csv file using getIssueList action. Can you please elaborate more on how to use this command so that I can automate it andmfiles are produced on a regular basis? 

1 vote
Iain Brown March 13, 2014

You could consider using Google Spreadsheets, that could also allow you to do the emailing automatically.

http://www.littlebluemonkey.com/blog/automatically-import-jira-backlog-into-google-spreadsheet

1 vote
Martin Dubois February 23, 2014

put quotes before http and at the end

1 vote
Sa Ba October 9, 2013

When i execute this from command prompt in wget, i get this error message :

-O 1111.xls http://fffff.ffff.fffff.lcl/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-excel-current-fields/15860/SearchRequest-12345.xls?tempMax=1000&os_username=xxxx.xxx@ssss.com&os_password=password

'os_username' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

'os_password' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

ANY HELP PLEASE ?

1 vote
Akeles
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2011

Out of the box, JIRA offers email subscriptions. You can set email subscriptions on defined filters to send the results to designated email accounts at scheduled periods.

Suggest an answer