How can I roll back a UPM update?

Michael Gallagher July 8, 2013

I updated my UPM in Jira 5.1.2 and now I get a massive wall of errors, and I cannot access ANY administration areas, and Jira is effectively broken.

Please help me, I either need to roll back the UPM update, or restore from a backup.

Why would UPM update to an incompatible version?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2013

Okay, can you try this method before attempting to uninstall it:

1. Shutdown JIRA
  2. Delete the following directories:
    1. $JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins
    2. $JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins
    3. $JIRA_INSTALL/work
  3. Restart JIRA

I suspect the velocity templates are broken with this upgrade, so you can try to clear the cache in JIRA with the steps mentioned above.

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I already uninstalled the JIM plugin. I don't think it's a core plugin, so it not being there anymore shouldn't "break" this any further.

I wanted to restart Jira just to see if it would clear the errors, however, I cannot find the service, or any service named Jira, Atlassian or Tomcat.

I am not the normal administrator of the system, but I have root access and am quite capable.

If Jira was installed as a service, how would I shut it down without know the service name? Otherwise, if it is NOT installed as a service, how would I shut it down or restart it?

Cheers

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2013

Shutting down JIRA in Ubuntu should be in the following directory:

$JIRA_INSTALL/bin/shutdown.sh

Just run the shutdown script (./shutdown.sh) mentioned, and try to perform the steps above. To start JIRA back up, just go to the same directory ($JIRA_INSTALL/bin) and execute the startup script (./startup.sh).

I believe you didn't actually uninstalled JIM, but just downgraded it (since it's a pre-bundled plugin).

** you should be able to find the directory where your JIRA is installed in the log files:

___ Java System Properties ________________

atlassian.standalone                          : JIRA
     awt.toolkit                                   : sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
     catalina.base                                 : C:\jira\jira-app
     catalina.home                                 : C:\jira\jira-app
     catalina.useNaming                            : true
     common.loader                                 : ${catalina.base}/lib,
                                                     ${catalina.base}/lib/*.jar,
                                                     ${catalina.home}/lib,
                                                     ${catalina.home}/lib/*.jar
     file.encoding                                 : Cp1252

refer to catalina.home

You are right, it didn't uninstall JIM, it appears to have downgraded it.

But, that alone didn't fix the issue.

HOWEVER, the issue appears to be fixed, after I shut down Jira service as per your instructions, and then had to shutdown Tomcat also, and then restart the Jira service as per your instructions.

I didnt clear any cache because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible until I found the solution.

Thank you very much for your help!

PS, in the worst case, we have an image backup, and that would have been recovered from yesterday :)

=========

MY STEPS TO SUCCESS:

After shutting down the Jira service and the Tomcat service, as per Justin's instructions above, and then restarting the Jira service, the problem has disappeared.

Before this, I also uninstalled (downgraded) the JIM plugin.

I am concerned, however, that Jira and the UPM allowed me to update one of the plugins to an incompatable version, as this was VERY destructive.

I must also note that I am not an administrator, and I shouldn't have touched the system without knowing exactly what I was doing. :(

Thankyou very much for your help Justin.

Cheers

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

Glad to hear that, man! :)

What I used to do when I'm suggesting plugin upgrades previously was to check the compatibility matrix in https://marketplace.atlassian.com, and download from there. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the UPM; I prefer a manual install.

So, just to cross check: is the version suggested by UPM the same as mentioned here? Should be 6.0.11

Yeah, I think that is really good advice.

Keeping in mind my UPM version is 2.12 and my Jira version is (v5.1.2#773-sha1:b805b97), this is what UPM suggests:

JIRA Importers Plugin (JIM)

Installed version: 4.4
Available version: 5.0.4
Developer: Atlassian
Add-on key: com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

Interesting. Have you tried to install JIM via manual install (which is copying the downloaded JAR from Marketplace, and placing it inside $JIRA_HOME/plugins/installed-plugins and restarting JIRA? See whether this fixes the problem with the JIM upgrade. I suspect the UPM went a bit bonkers there.

0 votes

Ok, looking at the check for 6.0.3 compatability, I get the message for JIRA Importers Plugin (JIM):

"These add-ons have updates that are compatible with JIRA 6.0.3, but are not compatible with your current version of JIRA. To proceed with your update safely, we recommend that you disable these add-ons, perform the product update, and then update these add-ons after your product update is complete."

I suspect updating this has caused the issue, however, disabling it does nothing.

I will try uninstalling this.

EDIT: This did nothing. Is there ANY way to disable the UPM? Perhaps it did not update correctly?

0 votes

I managed to access a log of changes to add-ons in the last 90 days:

Installed add-on JIRA Importers Plugin (JIM) (com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin version 5.0.4) ***** ***** Jul 9 2013 2:29:35 PM
Uninstalled add-on Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Self-Update Plugin (com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-selfupdate-plugin version 2.1.5) ***** ***** Jul 9 2013 2:00:49 PM
Installed add-on Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Self-Update Plugin (com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-selfupdate-plugin version 2.1.5) ***** ***** Jul 9 2013 2:00:25 PM
Successfully started the Universal Plugin Manager jira May 17 2013 12:30:45 PM
0 votes

We are using Ubuntu 6, Java 1.6.0_26.

Also running Confluence, which updated it's own UPM perfectly fine.

Here is an excerpt from the wall of errors:

An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug. Details: ------- org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'getLinksForSection' in class com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webfragment.DefaultSimpleLinkManager threw exception java.lang.IllegalStateException: Method invoked on module descriptor after it was destroyed. This is only legal for some methods on AbstractModuleDescriptor. at templates/plugins/webfragments/system-navigation-bar.vm[line 4, column 39] at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.handleInvocationException(ASTMethod.java:337) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:284) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:262) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.value(ASTReference.java:507) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTExpression.value(ASTExpression.java:71) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTSetDirective.render(ASTSetDirective.java:142) at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:336) at org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:328) at org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:235) at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.mergeTemplate(VelocityEngine.java:381) at com.atlassian.velocity.DefaultVelocityManager.getEncodedBody(DefaultVelocityManager.java:67) at com.atlassian.jira.template.velocity.DefaultVelocityTemplatingEngine$DefaultRenderRequest.asHtml(DefaultVelocityTemplatingEngine.java:104) at com.atlassian.jira.web.component.AbstractWebComponent.getHtml(AbstractWebComponent.java:35) at

Suggest an answer