How can I reuse transition name for different destination?

YipL September 30, 2014

Using JIRA 6.2.7 and the new workflow editor.

Scenario is this (# is a status, -> is a transition):

#Pending ->Unpend #InProgress

I want to have another transition with the same name of Unpend to a different status.

i.e.

#Pending ->Unpend #Reviewing

When I go to the Reuse a transition tab, only a subset of transitions appear from the drop down list.
The message in the dialog box indicates:
"You can reuse a transition provided the destination status is the same."
So... how do I go about creating a transition with the same name to a different destination?
I can't create a new transition either... it'll error saying:

A transition with that name already exists.

I confirm that it worked in Classic Workflow (pre 6.2). I just installed 5.2.5 and tested it and its fine.

When you create a transition with same name, it'll just put a different ID against it.

How can I do this post 6.2?

3 answers

7 votes
Liz BB October 24, 2014

You are able to "trick" JIRA by adding a space before one of the transition's names, it will allow you to save without error and the transitions work as expected. 

Kenneth Vilhelmsen January 31, 2015

Thanks, works like a charm :)

Like Steven Slezak likes this
Ben Richman May 17, 2016

Thank you for this!

Thiago Mendes June 20, 2017

Ohh gosh! That´s really works! It is "weird", but... forget it ehhehe thank you! 

BluJay Solutions August 9, 2017

Brilliant. This has solved so many issues for me!

Benn Gehman May 25, 2018

Excellent - Thanks Liz - granted, four years later, but still thanks!

Linda H February 21, 2019

Works like a charm !!!  thank you!! Who would have thought!

0 votes
B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

I dont think its ever been possible to have 2 transitions with the same name on the same step? I have a need for the same functionality in several places, and the only solution has always been to create 2 transitions with different names (alike, but different).... 

That it should have worked in 5.2.5 is news to me, since I've been on JIRA since version 3.... 

0 votes
YipL September 30, 2014

By the way, you don't need to worry about there being two buttons that may look the same... I will use conditions to have one of the other appear.

Suggest an answer