How can I retain email content in Jira comments

Jane Ellis March 15, 2021

Hi All 

Apologies if this question has been previously asked.

I have a feeling my request will be counter-intuitive to the way Jira comments work, but will ask anyway.

When working on a ask initially sent via email to our Jira helpdesk, the main method of correspondence from this point until resolution is via email.

Once the solution is discovered, the full email thread is forwarded back to the task in Jira.

However, without some heavy manipulation, the content of the resulting comment within Jira is blank.

Is there any option to enable the content of the email to be sent and saved in full?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2021

Hello @Jane Ellis 

Your email is tread long? 

This cloud is the issue, space is a character too so it adds up quickly, so basically, your email has too many characters.

There is a jira.text.field.character.limit set to 32767 by default in JIRA Cloud

But this is what you can do.

You can disable comment notification on your service desk, and keep it in cc that way it will log every mail response as a comment, with comment notifications disabled no one will notice it, also you can disable send a notification when added a request participant/added to an issue.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-64351

BR, Olga

Jane Ellis March 18, 2021

Hi Olga

I'm not sure I understand your response. 

My email threads are sometimes only a single line.

I think the problem is more to do with the subject of the email. If this matches the original subject line of the initial email, the content of the forwarded email is omitted.

Below is the original email request sent to the helpdesk.

Original-email-request.JPG

Below is my response back to the originator. This includes the original text. I want to retain this text in the Jira comment.

email-sent.JPG

Here is how the comment appears in Jira - see the highlighted section at the bottom. The original content is not included in the Jira comment below.

Jira-comment.JPG

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

Hello Jane, 

I see the problem now, it's stripping quotes

Go to Settings -> Products -> Jira Service Management Email requests -> Don't stop quotes.

BR, Olga

Jane Ellis March 28, 2021

Perfect. Thanks Olga!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders