How can I restrict who is allowed to approve a Jira Service Desk Request?

Zach Malloy February 28, 2018

When submitting a Service Request that uses the workflow that include approvals, how can prevent the end user from adding any user within this field?  The field request for them to put in their manager, but it appears that they could put any user in their including themselves. 

1 answer

0 votes
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2018

By adding a Validator to the transition, one could prevent the requester/reporter from making themselves the approver.   To guarantee the Approver is the manager will require access to that information in an external source and will require some kind of lookup.  Ideally, something like the nFeed plugin making a query to a database containing org information could auto-fill the field.

Hope this info is useful,
~~Larry Brock

PS. If this answers your question, please click the checkmark next to the answer so others see the resolved status in their searches.  Thanks!

Zach Malloy February 28, 2018

Thank you for the information.  While I will not disagree that it provides a solution the question, I was more hopeful for a way that Jira Service Desk could provide this feature natively without the reliance of 3rd party plugins like nFeed considering JSD already pulls information from Active Directory.  

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2018

I completely agree @Zach Malloy - if JSD has user profile information sync'd in from a directory service, making that info available in fields, default or custom, would be extremely useful.

Suggest an answer