How can I restrict a project so that a reporter can only see issues they have submitted, but no others?

CHIMS IT May 8, 2014

In my a few of my companies' JIRA projects we would like to restrict the visibility so that end users (reporters of issues) can only see the issues they have submitted themselves, but no other issues within the project.

I have been looking through the permissions settings in JIRA, and I cannot find a simple way to accomplish this. Is this actually possible in JIRA?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2014

You need to do two things

1. Assuming you've been using the default permissions, you'll need to unpick them. Jira's default is to use the group "jira users" to say "can log in", but ALSO whack that into the role of "users" in every new project. You'll need to remove that group from every project (replacing it with other groups, or individuals as befits your permission schemes). OR, you can create a new group, whack every existing user into it and then go into Admin -> General permissions and swap it for "jira users"

2. Once you've done that, enable "reporter browse". It's off by default, whcih is why you've not seen it. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission - Be careful though - you should ONLY use it in "Browse" in a permission scheme. For "comment", "edit", "log work" and the rest, it's fine to use the normal "Reporter".

CHIMS IT May 11, 2014

Nic, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Like Iswaren Mardenalom likes this
Dan Marshall January 27, 2016
If I want just a single project to "restrict a project so that a reporter can only see issues they have submitted, but no others?"...but leave every thing else in my Jira installation untouched - can I do this?

The instruction above seem to imply some global changes are required.

I'd rather isolate required changes to a single project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2016

Yes, you probably do need to make global changes - the defaults are generally set up to allow anyone who is a user to get into all the projects - you need to undo that.

Dan Marshall January 27, 2016

Too bad - we were hoping to set up a "presonal to do" project with these characteristics.

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 votes
Accounting Go2Group May 8, 2014

You should be creating issue level security schemes for this project (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security).

In a security level, add the reporter and all internal staff so that they can view the issue.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2014

You should be creating issue level security schemes for this project (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue-level+Security).

In a security level, add the reporter and all internal staff so that they can view the issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2014

This does rely on the users setting security correctly, or coding it to do it for them.

Atlassian use the "reporter browse" permission. It's easier and automatic.

Suggest an answer