How can I recover stories or tasks that have been deleted by mistake?

Rosa María Mestre Cortés May 4, 2022

How can I recover stories or tasks that have been deleted by mistake?

3 answers

3 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 4, 2022

Hi @Rosa María Mestre Cortés 

There is no built-in recycle bin in Jira. So when you delete an issue from Jira, it’s totally gone, including all of its subtasks and attachments. You can try the backup mentioned by Joe before.

If you'd like to prevent losing issues in the future you can try some add-ons that store deleted issues. One of them is Issue History for Jira from my team. It's available for Cloud users.

Also, there is an article for different hosting types:

How to delete an issue from Jira? Save the deleted issues

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 5, 2022

Hi @Rosa María Mestre Cortés

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

By default, Jira does not track deleted issues and deleted issues are lost forever. To prevent it happening again, you can try Restore Deleted Issues app developed by our team.

After you installed this app,

. Both bulk and single issue deletions are logged.

. You can see when and by whom issues are deleted.

. You can recover summary, description, comments except attachments.

Below you can find an article about tracking and restoring deleted issues in Jira.

How to Track and Restore Your Deleted Issues in Jira

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. You prove this point. None of my users have delete permission.

Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Suggest an answer