How can I query using JQL for the latest release version of a project?

Cynthia Newlin May 19, 2015

Is it possible to query for the latest release version of a particular project in JQL?  In SQL you would use MAX(release version), but I'm thinking there isn't an equivalent in SQL.

5 answers

4 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2015

Hello Cynthia,

You could try something like "fixVersion = latestReleasedVersion(TEST)" to find the last released version for the TEST project, for example. smile

Regards,

Rodrigo Rosa

Naidu Lothugedda January 28, 2017

Hi,

can we print the Fix version value by using a command or some thing else ?

Thanks & regards

Naidu.l

Alex Romano July 20, 2020

Hi Rodrigo,

I was wondering if there was a trick to the latestFixVersion function, because I am trying it in the new lookup automation so I can set up automated release notes, and it returns an error:
Unable to find JQL function 'latestfixVersion(<projectkey>)

When someone clicks release on a version, I want emails to go out to a set of email addresses (since we can't send out by project role yet), with a list of the issues which were part of the release.

I really could use some help.

2 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2015

Or you might want to create your own JQL query with SQL for JIRA as it supports the full JIRA issue and project database model, so it is possible (and easy) to write a SQL query to get the latest release of any project and then convert it into a JIRA JQL query.

0 votes
Cynthia Newlin May 27, 2015

Tis messy here...I don't dispute your version definitions in the least.

0 votes
Maud Schlich May 26, 2015

Hello Cynthia,

perhaps there is a misunderstanding here? fixVersion is the field of an issue.

Some issues may have "V2.3", earlier ones may have "V2.2" in that field.

latestReleaseVersion(<projectname>) is the version name of the project which has been released latest - so in my case most probably this value is "V2.3".

So many issues in that project should have that latestReleaseVersion (i.e. the name of that version, here "V2.3") as the content of the fixVersion field.

Regards,

Maud

0 votes
Cynthia Newlin May 20, 2015

That was a nice idea until I checked with our PM.  He said they use fixVersion and ReleaseVersion as the same.

Suggest an answer