How can I provide customer portal style access to a software project?

Damian Gordon November 24, 2015

Hopefully the subject says most of this. Basically, we are a software development company so would like to use the software project type for each client but would also like the clients to be able to submit and collaborate on bug reports, development tasks etc without giving them access to the full project management area. The kinds of things that we would like them to do is create tasks, bug reports etc., manage their priorities, assign them to releases but not see what we would consider technical / internal details such as time spent, source control, developer assignment and so on. Can you recommend how we might be able to achieve this?

Thanks, Damian

4 answers

1 vote
Fash January 24, 2021

@Damian Gordon : Thanks for sharing this question. I am having similar issue.

You raised this question since 2015, just wondering if you now have a solution for this to share with me, am in a similar situation and i need help.

Hope to read from you soon.

1 vote
Mark Hostetler June 19, 2019

I know I'm blowing the dust off this, but I'm in a similar boat.

Right now i'm experimenting with creating an additional Service Desk for entry and for the client to manage their items. Then using Automation for Jira to pass a few relevant fields back and forth.

Any way I slice it, it's still creating some duplication of work without configuring extremely elaborate automation rules.

1 vote
Damian Gordon November 26, 2015

I have setup some software and some service desk projects but the latter does not provide appropriate access to the project for developers to use it as a software development management tool. I.e. we would like to provide portal like access to a software project but that does not seem possible. Or is it and I just do not know how? It seems like it would be a commonly requested feature for a software development company to want to allow their customers limited access so they can submit and collaborate on tasks but that the company ultimately wants to use JIRA to manage the project.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2015

What have you taken a look so far? Try evaluating JIRA Service Desk (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/). You may also want to look at the JIRA Issue Collectors (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/using-the-issue-collector-288657654.html).

Suggest an answer