How can I prevent deletion of version in JIRA project ?

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2013

Is there a way to stop user from deleting the created version in jira project?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

Yes, talking will do but i also wanted to take care if somebody unknowingly deletes the version.

Using versiondeleteevenet to get notification

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2013

You'll need to do a spot of coding to catch that event and send an email, but it will be too late - the version will have been deleted, you can't stop them doing it.

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2013

Nic,

you are right, the event is fired only after the deletion is done :(

0 votes
David Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2013

I'm not sure what the user is attempting to do, but they can try "Archiving" the versions instead.

This will prevent those versions from showing up in selection boxes/filters (assuming that's what your user wants).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2013

You can't. If they are a project admin, then they have the right to maintain versions - add, change and delete.

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2013

or else can i hide it.

I have this requirement as i want project manager to edit the version but not to delete them. As one of my major functionality breaks becoz of deletion

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2013

You should really talk to him instead of putting workarounds ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2013

Nope, you can't hide them either. The answer is to remove ALL rights to maintain versions, or, exactly as Jobin says, work with the user, instead of trying to force them down a route they don't like.

Why is he deleting versions? Why do you need to keep them if he, as a project admin, decides he doesn't want them? Sounds like you need to talk...

han gao February 22, 2017

hi Nic, I got a question,could you please help?

on the screen of Project-Versions, (for example,project : PRO2)

I want  that only admin or non-admin user can 'archive' some version,

while click the 'archive' link, the request URL is http://localhost:2990/jira/rest/api/2/version/10005,

and the referrer is http://localhost:2990/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/PRO2/versions.

how to do it ? thank you so much.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2017

You will need to hack the core code in JRA so that it stops allowing it.

Although you say "only admin or non-admin user can", which works out as "all users".  The current system only allows project admins to do it.

Suggest an answer