How can I optimise this EazyBI calculated member? (Timeout after 60 seconds)

Daniel Woolfson July 17, 2016

I have defined the following calculated member within my EazyBI cube generated from my live JIRA software Cloud instance.  The problem is that this MDX times out (takes longer than 60 seconds).

I am trying to find out how many issues have an estimate entered.

Is the problem that I am filtering against all issues?  I thought that the filter would only work in the context of the dimension which the calculated member is called?  

Count(
Filter(
Descendants(
[Issue].CurrentMember, [Issue].[Issue]),
[Measures].[Original estimated hours] > 0
)
)

How can I restrict the filters or indeed use any other optimising technique in MDX to help this complete.

Any help appreciated since this is quite a simple thing which is proving very time consuming to work out how to do.

Daniel.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2016

Hi Daniel,

Indeed, this code goes through all Issues within selected report context.

In order to make it work faster, you could try adding an additional line in the code that filter the scope for search and it would search database column "Issues created" for all issues.

Count(
Filter(
Descendants(
[Issue].CurrentMember, [Issue].[Issue]),
[Measures].[Issues created]>0 AND 
[Measures].[Original estimated hours] > 0
)
)

Another thing you could try is to include such code in Case when.

If you use this calculated measure in the same query to calculate other calculated measures that depends on it, you could try using Cache.

Please contact support@eazybi.com if you have further questions regarding this!

Kind regards,

Martins Vanags / eazyBI

Suggest an answer