How can I model an external delay in JIRA Portfolio?

We are using Portfolio to plan a combined software and hardware project, where there will be substantial ordering and prototype manufacturing delays as part of some of the workstreams. While these workstreams are delayed, the teams that were busy specifying components and preparing design documents can work on other things and then return to work on the higher-priority project once the parts come in.

I can 'hack' Portfolio to model this behaviour by making a 40hr/week resource called 'Ship' or 'Manufacturing Contractor' and then setup dependencies appropriately, but this doesn't easily scale (for example, one would need two 'Ship' resources to model the shipment of two independent major components that were ordered at about the same time but had different lead times).

Is there a way we can make a work item that takes a fixed period of time but requires no resources?

1 answer

1 vote

Hi Michael, there's not a direct way, but probably the most common workaround would be using an earliest start date constraint on an item (without an estimate), so you put in a work item for the external work, and set a dependency, but instead of having to put an estimate and capacity, you just keep it at an estimate of 0, and give it an earliest start date (as the time it gets actually delivered) - you can do this by displaying the according column in the table (this is avaible currently only in standard plans, not yet in live plans). Technically, the external work then starts, but with 0 estimate also finishes at the configured date, and subsequent/dependent work gets scheduled after that. 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Posted 13 hours ago in Jira

We want to know what Jira Service Desk apps you're using!

Hi Community! My name is Amir and I’m on the Jira Service Desk product marketing team at Atlassian. Our team would love to understand how you’re leveraging our ecosystem for Jira Service Desk. Wha...

36 views 0 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you