How can I merge a JIRA cloud instance with an existing populated JIRA server instance without losing already existing data which is already in use?

JiraUser01 JiraUser01 September 26, 2016

I'm trying to consolidate JIRA. We have an ondemand instance that we have used for part of the company, and a JIRA server instance for another part of the company . We want to import our cloud instance (not per project, but everything) into our local JIRA server instance. I want to make sure nothing gets messed up with the existing JIRA server projects and without lose of any existing data with this migration. Is this possible or do I need to do it 1 project at a time?

Please suggest me what is the best approach to follow in this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Sri

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2016

You will have to do one project at a time.

JiraUser01 JiraUser01 September 26, 2016

Thanks Jobin for your quick response and suggestion,For example if i have 100 projects on my cloud instance, at that time if  i merge project by project it will take lot of time .So is there any other way to restore complete backup without losing existing data on JIRA server instance which is already in use?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2016

Yeah, it is a hard one. You can use some migration software to sync the issues but you loose all the history and stuff.

If your target instance has less projects, you can migrate your cloud instance to server first and use it as the target.

JiraUser01 JiraUser01 September 27, 2016

Thanks jobin for your extended support,as you said restore one project at a time, if i use project import tool to import backup, it missed some configuration like workflow schemes ,issue schemes, field configuration scheme and etc.

When i am come across the some online Atlassian documents and posts , i have observed the  following steps and heard about the  Project Configurator plugin.

Here is my understandings are correct? Please correct me if  i am wrong or any thing missed here and suggest me with correct procedure.

EX:

I have a Jira-A cloud instance which is having ,say 50 projects.

1.I will create backup file.
2.I will install the new JIRA-B Server instance.
3.I will restore the backup in to JIRA-B.
4.I have one more existing Jira server instance called JIRA-C
5.Now i will create backup file of JIRA-B.
6.created one backup file using project configurator pulgin.(which will be used to export/import configurations).
7.Now first i will import configurations into JIRA-C by  using project Cofigurator plugin.
8.after that i will import JIRA-B backup data (xml) file into JIRA-C by using project import tool which is give by atlassian.

Suggest an answer