How can I manually burn down storypoints of tasks regardles ticket state

Maxim Fesenko August 9, 2017

Hi!

During work on a iOS related project I've faced followin situation:

- lots of effords for tickets are spend on intemradiate ticket's state.
E.g. storypoints of some tasks are totally spent when it's in "Dev complete" because for testers / DevOps there are not much work to do.
Or Development was easy but testing in QA takes a lot of time. So all storypoints goes away between "Ready for QA" - to - "Verified in QA" statuses.

- because we face AppStore reviews and/or some other intemrdiate actions, tickets is not to be "Closed" untill it goes alive and at least rapidly is verified in Production. It can happen  several days or even weeks after the ticket was done by developers and verified by testers on intermediate environments.

Question: how can I "burn down" ticket's storypoints at a random moment of time, regardles which state is the ticket in?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

Hi Maxim

From a Jira (and in fact Scrum) point of view, story points are only realised when the item is Done (or Closed). You should try to fit in with that as well.

If you really want to do what you're asking, I think the only way is to have separate tickets - in your first example, have a Dev ticket with 5SP and a Test ticket with 1SP. This certainly isn't a great way to work and is contrary to Scrum and Agile, but it's your call.

Regards

Warren

Your suggestion brings me to managing Definition of Done for project's increments.
Will work on that too.

Thank you!

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

I meant to mention DoD, but got sidetracked with everything else I was writing. Yes, it needs a good review!

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2017

Burndown charts consume story points once an issue is transitioned to one of the statuses mapped to the last (most right) column.

Those charts cannot be set to consume story points based on any other events.

However, you can map as many statuses as you want to the last column instead.

Thanks, got it.

Suggest an answer