How can I manage multiple views of a same backlog with distinct ranks ?

Alexandre Thaveau February 19, 2018

Hi,

we are a BI dev teams implementing scrum and a jira scrum agile project. We do not have a product owner but multiple stakeholders, having their own list of developments to prioritize. We ask them to provide us a list of their stories with associated priority then merge the top ones (if we can) in one sprint.

So we have a huge backlog, pretty complicated to maintain and manage. I defined few boards inside this projet, each one filtered with a specific epic or keywork, in order to provide different views of this backlog but it looks like jira "rank" is shared across these boards (ie if i move rank in a filtered board it moves in my main board too).

Do you know if it is possible to maintain distinct ranks for these boards ? Do you think there is better ways to implement this ?

Thanks very much,

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2018

There is a global rank. There is no way to have multiple ranks with native functionality.  

You could explore setting up one board per stakeholder.  If you filter each board so that it only contains issues that pertain to that stakeholder they can sort their own backlog as appropriate.  You will need to do some grooming on the large shared board in order to get the highest priority issue from each board sorted correctly, though.

Alexandre Thaveau February 20, 2018

ok thanks Theodore, do you think about another better way to achieve this ?

Suggest an answer