How can I make a project lead an administrator of one project only?

Marc Coughlan January 12, 2016

I created a project as 'site admin' and assigned a project lead.  Is there any way I can create a group, add admin permissions to the group and then add the project lead into this group so they can administer only this project?

Any help appreciated!

Marc

3 answers

0 votes
kylastearns February 14, 2019

@Phill Fox & @John Pfotzer

Do y'all know if there is a way to make this a default? Like whenever a Project Lead is assigned, they automatically become the Project Admin? 

This is an issue that only came up yesterday for me, but being in a very large global organization, I don't want to have to be assigning Project Admins to every project.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2019

If you add the Project Lead to the Administer Project permission in the Permission Scheme that means they will automatically be a Project Admin.

Be careful that this is what you really want to do as Permission Schemes should be shared across lots of projects. You can start by setting it for a Permission Scheme that only applies to a small number of projects and check that this is your desired outcome. Then when happy make the change to all the Permission Schemes especially the default ones.

kylastearns February 15, 2019

Okay awesome! Thank you so much! For now, I agree that you have to be careful, so I don't think I will set it across the board. This is the first time I've encountered someone needing that permission so I just manually set them as Project Admin on their 2 projects. But, I am glad to have this information should this incident come up more in the future and I need to make a larger change. Thanks again!!!

Like Phill Fox likes this
0 votes
John Pfotzer January 12, 2016

Marc, if you want a person to only be a project administrator, the simple way to do it is:

go to the project, click on administration, go to roles, in the administrators role add the person. It can be the project lead, but that is where you add the person.

I hope that helps.

welcome

John

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2016

Set the permission scheme for the project to have Project Admin for users with the role Project Administrator

Then on the project user roles add this person to the project Role Project Administrator.

Suggest an answer