How can I make a middle column in my sprint board burn down stories and effect the burndown chart?

Andrew Arizpe November 16, 2017

On my sprint board, I want a custom middle column "Done in Dev" to burn down stories and effect the burndown chart when a story is placed in it. I cannot find a way to make any column, other than the far right column, do this. Is there a way? If not has atlassian explained why? 

Thanks!

Andrew

2 answers

0 votes
gauri.gunjal September 23, 2021

@andrew arizpe 
Did you find any way to solve this problem?

We also need to keep track of our configuration team's burn down.
As after changing the configuration the work of configuration team is done. But the work is not yet moved to Prod as QA is still pending.

Any Help will much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

It hasn't changed - "done" is when you burn down, and that is the last column on the board.  You need to match your definition of done into the last column.  If "done" is "dev done, but not QA or deployed", then put "dev done" in the last column, along with QA and deployed.  Or even drop QA and Deployed from the board completely, as they're not relevant to the team's "done".

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

No, you can't.

The right hand column is "done".  Nothing else is. 

There is a good argument for saying "the x right hand columns are 'done'" and another good argument for the ability to use the left hand column(s) the "done" area, but not an arbitrary one in the middle.  The whole point of a board is things move across it in one direction, until they reach "done"

Andrew Arizpe November 18, 2017

Thanks. I hoped this was not the case but getting confirmation is helpful. 

I get that they are trying to stay true to the process but it would make my life easier to designate another column to trigger the burndown.

We like to keep the right column as "in production" in case we release something a bit early or are keeping a close eye on a recently released feature. 

Thanks again. 

-Andrew 

HP December 30, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Hi is this answer still applicable in 2022. Can't we set a middle column (status) to update the burn-down chart?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2022

Yes, the last column is "done".  It's nonsense to burn-down on things that are not done.

Suggest an answer