How can I make a group a default group that all new members are added to when a new account is created?

Bernardo San Juan July 2, 2014

How can I make a group a default group that all new members are added to when a new account is created?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bernardo San Juan July 8, 2014

Answer from Helen Hung:

Hi Bernardo,

Yes that is true. The 'users' group is technically redundant for you now if you don't use the group for any other use cases. The reason why we didn't simply delete the group when we migrated everyone during the upgrade is because we can't know what a customer is using the 'users' group for. They could have been using it for other permission-ing within the applications etc.

Whilst you are normally able to delete 'jira-users', it seems in your case, you've reached a known bug of ours unfortunately, sorry about this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-7110

We haven't fixed this yet, but basically a comment/worklog, is when you have used a group as a way to restrict say a comment on a JIRA ticket. If that is been used somewhere in the system, then that attribute exists against the group and JIRA prevents such a group from being deleted, as otherwise it would break the formally restricted comment.

If you happen to know where this has been used in JIRA and can remove or delete it, then that will fix it. But if there's too many issues that are like this, then that will be too hard and it won't be until we fix this bug, that you'll be able to delete the group.

Currently, you are unable to modify what the default licensing group is for new users' access to an application. We will be implementing that in the coming six months.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Helen

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2014

New members are automatically added to the group that has "JIRA Users" global permission. You can view it under Administration > System > Global Permissions.

Bernardo San Juan July 2, 2014

Yes, but how about the "users" group? I am very confused with understanding the difference between the "jira-users" and "the "users" group.

Having these two groups have lead to confussion so I tried to delete the the group "users" that apparently is also a default group in the newer Jira OnDemand versions. I made sure that all users in the "users" group are also in the "jira-users" group and then when I tried to delete the "users" group I got this message:

"users cannot be deleted because of the following problems: You must specify agroup to move comments/worlogs to"

So, I tried to specify "jira-users" as the group to move comments/worklogs. But I have not found the way, I have looked up the documentation and now I am more confused than ever. I do not understand the difference and why we need "users" and "jira-uasers" group.

That is why I created this ticket, I though that since it looks delicate to remove the "users" group and since I do not understand the use of it. I should make the "users" group a default group too. Right now in our instance we only have "confluence-users" and "jira-users" as a default group that new users get assigned to.

What would you suggest I do? Delete "users" group and base permissions into the "jira-users"? how can I solve this:

"users group cannot be deleted because of the following problems: You must specify agroup to move comments/worlogs to"

If on the other hand there is a good reason to keep the "users" group I would like to know how can I make it a default group.

Sorry for extending to much on this but if you check the documentation, you will see that there is a common misunderstanding around this...

Thks!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2014

Ah I see. Things work a bit differently in onDemand! I hope someone from onDemand team will help you with this.

Suggest an answer